Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Guns for everyone. Everyone for guns.

edited July 2022 in Off-Topic
(An old catch-phrase used to tout everything from beer to various music genres)

New York, to its credit, is trying to place some common sense control over the new availability of guns granted by the formerly esteemed Supreme Court. And, predictably, Republicans and the gun lobby are objecting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-york-senate-passes-stiffer-gun-restrictions-soften-blow-supreme-co-rcna35887

From the above article (NY Governor Hochul):

“Just imagine you’re on a crowded subway and you bang into somebody inadvertently. Tempers flare and the person that you bumped into happens to be carrying a concealed weapon,” she said.

“Imagine you’re in Times Square. You’re on the way to a show with your family, and you’re surrounded by people with concealed weapons,” Hochul said. “Does that make you feel more or less safe?”

Which one’s packin’ heat?

Possibly related: Police crackdown on Times Square Costumed Characters.

Comments

• edited July 2022

- Nearly 400 Officers Were in Uvalde Before Gunman Was Killed

I guess this shoots holes in the crazed myth that more guns in the hands of more people would reduce or prevent deaths from mass shootings. Another finding, it was apparently the first time the shooter had ever fired the weapon.
  • edited July 2022
    crazy-ass people and their guns. Whatever happened to SANE people owning rifles and guns for legitimate hunting and target practice for sport? I taught the kids to shoot at summer camp, 1974. It's a different world today. Gun-crazed society, and so all the nutjobs pick right up on it, and have to go get one--- or eight--- for themselves. People. Jayzuz, people SUCK. And there are too many violent, unstable lunatics running around. And Ronny Ray-guns made sure to get all the mental hospitals shut down. SHIT.
  • edited July 2022
    @Crash. I feel safer without a gun. Having one would seem likely to provoke another into “shooting first” in the event of hostilities. However I do pay better attention driving. Imagine accidentally rear-ending some dude with a loaded AK-47 on the front seat.
  • hank said:

@Crash. I feel safer without a gun. Having one would seem likely to provoke another into “shooting first” in the event of hostilities. However I do pay better attention driving. Imagine accidentally rear-ending some dude with a loaded AK-47 lying on the front seat.

I was attempting to push along a car in front of me on the freeway one time. You know what I mean: tailgating. I couldn't get anywhere because the driver was stupid and blocking everyone else who was behind him. Central California. ... Central California is owned and controlled by ethnic street gangs. One of those punks shot out my windshield with a handgun. Motherlovers.