Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Your buy - sells July forward

Sold SFAAX & added proceeds to VLAAX . Had to wait ,otherwise fee for selling before 90 days pass through. Previous sold most of both as NAV was in down cycle.
Bought VWINX with dry powder as I didn't want to become only CD investor going forward.

Comments

• During the plunge earlier this morning, I added an amount equal to the current T holdings in my taxable account. At the very least, I have an opportunity to harvest a loss for tax purposes to balance out other gains.

Added to an existing JEPI holding this morning as well.
  • @PRESSmUP - Interesting. I added to VZ and LUMN for similar reasons as I could not find any discernible reason for the sharp drop in either.
  • My only reservation on VWINX is that the duration of the bond portion is at 8.2 year, which is on the longer end of intermediate term corporate bond index. This implies it will be affected more in rising rate environment. Having said that, the Wellington team is experienced that they are likely well aware the risk they are undertaking.

CD yield will continue to rise in this rising rate environment. Will increase allocation to defensive sectors - consumer staples and utilities.
  • edited July 2022
    Re July,

- New funds added: ARKK, TCHP
    - Funds closed out: PRWCX, ARKK
    - Stock closed out: DKNG
  • @Mark -it looks like VZ (which I also own) simply went down in sympathy re AT&T and their call on a forecast reduction in FCF later in the year.
  • edited July 2022
    Added one smallcap
    NVTA ( MAYBE 10 in 2 3 yrs)
    +more TSLA

Added slv copx - leaps covercalled both
  • Past buying now.

I might look at selling some things if the dead cat keeps bouncing.

I'm not optimistic about the course of inflation.
  • Well, from the S&P purchasing manager index this morning:

Although supply constraints remained problematic,
    constraining economic activity, the weakening demand
    environment has helped to alleviate inflationary
    pressures. Average prices charged for goods and
    services consequently rose at a much reduced rate in
    July, the rate of inflation still running high by historical
    standards but now down to a 16-month low to provide
    some much needed good news amid the ongoing cost of
    living crisis.”

with some fed context:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/19/opinion/inflation-prices-fed.html
  • +1. Thanks, @davidmoran.
  • I bought a very small amount of SMH (VanEck Semiconductor ETF) and plan to let it sit for many years through the inevitable ups and downs. Also added to SHGTX, FSMEX, FSCSX and MSFT and I'll likely add to these positions if the market continues to puke. My only concern is that the manager of SHGTX (Paul Wick) is getting on in years and might not be there much longer. Hope they retire his jersey, he's a Hall of Famer. Looks like a strong bench though.
  • Tempted to dip a toe into the waters of the iShares ETF, QAT (QATAR.) It was recommended on Bloomberg tv last week, while I watched. Not the ETF, but the country's economy and market. I already own TRAMX but I don't think the duplication would be too very significant. Minuscule position to begin...
  • edited July 2022
    Last two weeks: Been taking profits in managed futures, down to ~ 1/3 of the peak allocation. Bought starter or added to ICLN, TAN, MUB, EWT.

Hmm, Crash, Qatar. Maybe some attention & action from the upcoming World Cup (soccer-futbol, Nov.-Dec)? Not much volume in that iShares etf. Wouldn't hurt to watch, tho.
  • edited July 2022
    Spy Iwm qqq Bottom very close based on fundamentals
    If we have a reasonable Earning seasons and Feds stick w 0.75% rates raised (maybe already priced in), maybe baby bull born...This Thursday is biggest day Apple Er and Feds decisions day....very volatile
    Could be last legs down another -12% next 5 -7 trading days (or could be stagnation then slight up trends after 7-10 days tradings)

Friends say 65% that bottom maybe in (June 17 18th 2022), or 35% of another - 12% down. Some pundits even say sp500 go to 3100s levels.

Could be lots speculation

Get out your popcorn and cash/paychecks
    Maybe slowly Dca in, you maybe laughing your ways to the bank if buy soon and hold for 3 yrs

Have a good wk investing
  • @AndyJ: agree on managed futures. They are really looking weak. Reducing like you.
  • I purchased Citigroup (C). CEO Jane Fraser is doing a great job turning that company around....with a 3.93% divi to boot.
  • edited July 2022
    Sold all TCHP. Up 14+% since buying it about 4 weeks ago. Spread the proceeds around in cash & some more conservative holdings. (Suppose folks will start piling in now.)
  • @hank +1
    Have a good weekend, Derf
  • Thanks @Derf. Will try not to step on any cracks in the sidewalk. Have a good one.:)
  • edited July 2022
    Prob buy more Meta qqqm xlf tsla lcid spy vang2050 monday

Bottom likely in
    Becareful of double dip/stagnation and another 10% -15% leg down next 3 6 wks
    Very difficult to tell so far but odds little lowered compared last wk

Good news usdollar downtrends and oil commodities little downtrends also last wk

https://mobile.twitter.com/WillieDelwiche/status/1553056509747236864?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jpmorgan-says-market-bottom-near-120000886.html
  • hank said:

Sold all TCHP. Up 14+% since buying it about 4 weeks ago. Spread the proceeds around in cash & some more conservative holdings. (Suppose folks will start piling in now.)

way to go, @hank.
  • Added #NUGT
    gold has bottomed
    Probably 12 24 months play
  • I wish the world revolved around the Opera. Things would be more beautiful and run much more smoothly.
  • Jayzuz. ET announces record high demand and quarterly profit, and today, the day after--- the stock gets slammed. What's up with that??? Anyway, no panic selling HERE. That company has a huge footprint. A money machine, through thick and thicker, despite a high debt load.

I am becoming convinced that PRNEX (Nat. Resources) is going to continue to go nowhere fast for me. I recall that I bought the shares at the early-year high-point. (Shit!) I'm going to slice off a few thin pieces of it and move those amounts elsewhere in my TRP portfolio. (That's my T-IRA, so choices are limited. But by the way, I see PRWCX trying to make a comeback recently.) I'm still holding junk bonds in TUHYX, though Morningstar has lost one of its stars, somewhere. It, too, has been rising slowly.

• @Crash - 0n that imageMuted Response to ET's quarter. Sam Smith's thoughts at SeekingAlpha:

"While this might baffle some investors, the reason is clear: ET signaled that the "old ET" is still very clearly present and Kelcy Warren's hunger for growth spending is as strong as ever. While it is still very likely that ET will restore its quarterly distribution to pre-cut levels in 2023 or 2024, the likelihood of additional capital returns via additional distribution growth or unit buybacks just took a huge hit.

It appears ET does not get it: Mr. Market clearly wants ET to reign in its acquisition and growth project spending and instead focus keenly on debt reduction and unitholder capital return acceleration. However, ET appears to be dedicated to simply reaching a certain leverage target, restoring the distribution to pre-cut levels, and then focus heavily on growth spending. While this could pay off, ET's past track record does not bode well."
  • @Mark. Glad for that. Makes sense! Thanks. Shaking my head, though. At some point, debt is bad; a drag on one's life and movements.
  • Put on a 750s starter position in MMP the other day. It compliments my large EPD position so I'm covering both nat gas and gasoline pipeline distribution.
  • @Crash, @Mark, @rforno, @PRESSmUP

What percentage of your portfolio do you allocate to these companies? Also, is it beneficial to hold them in retirement accounts, IRAs, if they have special tax consequences if held in a normal account?
    Thank you
  • johnN said:

Prob buy more Meta qqqm xlf tsla lcid spy vang2050 monday

Bottom likely in
    Becareful of double dip/stagnation and another 10% -15% leg down next 3 6 wks
    Very difficult to tell so far but odds little lowered compared last wk

Good news usdollar downtrends and oil commodities little downtrends also last wk

https://mobile.twitter.com/WillieDelwiche/status/1553056509747236864?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jpmorgan-says-market-bottom-near-120000886.html

The market appears to have a toping feel now.
  • edited August 2022
    Mav123 said:

@Crash, @Mark, @rforno, @PRESSmUP
    Presently:
    What percentage of your portfolio do you allocate to these companies? Also, is it beneficial to hold them in retirement accounts, IRAs, if they have special tax consequences if held in a normal account?
    Thank you

@Mav123
    Thanks for the question.
    Presently: BHB= 3.6% of portfolio total.
    ET = 3.09% of total.
    RGR = 1.26% of total.

Tonight, they are 7.95% of portfolio. They all did badly today.
    They are all in taxable account. In retirement, there's no Earned Income that makes contributing to the T-IRA a sensible thing to do. Our household income leaves us paying zero federal tax, anyhow.

I will be gradually growing my stake in single stocks. I keep an extensive watch-list. I'll never have enough money to own them all. But I'll pick up some, here and there, when the opportunity allows. Diversification is still important to me, and with options available which cover the waterfront, I'm right now looking at Marine shippers GRIN and PCFBY. .......Perennially, the big Canadian banks are on my list, but currently, I'm already 34% in Financials. (CM. BMO. RY. TD. BNS.) .....Also: CLF. And QAT. How much do I devote to these single stocks? Not enough. I don't think I'll ever reach a point where I must LIMIT my proportion of single-stocks, compared to funds. If I were younger and working, I suppose I'd try to strike a balance. Funds are inherently less risky. (See more in the very next post.)