Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

vin scully is dead

and that stinks. such a golden voice.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    RIP

No disrespect to Vin Scully, who probably wrote the book on broadcasting. But in watching & listening to maybe a dozen different broadcasters this season I’m struck by how similar their voices, timing, mannerisms sound. Two different schools at work for sure: A play-by-play person and a “color” commentator. There must be some very common precepts that are taught at the basic level.

A friend years ago in broadcasting, in speaking about what factor delineates those who succeed at some local level and those who make it to the big time, remarked, “Timing is everything.” That, he thought, was the most difficult ingredient to hone to perfection. I took out an mlb TV pass for the second half of the season because an old college friend’s grandson is playing for the Baltimore Orioles (3rd season).
  • edited August 2022
    Orioles. I took my bachelor's degree from a tiny place in Baltimore. It's gone now. You think that's a coincidence? I can't bear to watch on tv anymore. The Marketing geniuses have figured out how to insert ads even between individual pitches. It's an ad event, at which there's also a ballgame happening in the background. Feces.
    @hank. But you're right! TIMING is everything. Vin was the Master. And his use of the language. Even on the radio, you could feel as if you were in the ballpark.

Sandy Koufax. PERFECT GAME. September 9, 1965. Called by Vin Scully.

• edited August 2022
    Love hearing that call; Vin Scully had the gift of baseball gab for sure. I remember the news about the game (was totally into baseball in those days) but not this part of it, from Wiki:

"The game was also notable for the high quality of the performance by the opposing pitcher, Bob Hendley of the Cubs. Hendley gave up only one hit (which did not figure into the scoring) and allowed only two baserunners. Both pitchers had no-hitters intact until the seventh inning. The only run that the Dodgers scored was unearned. The game holds the record for fewest base runners in a perfect game (both teams), with two; the next lowest total is four."

Did see Koufax pitch in person once.
  • edited August 2022
    Is there a baseball hall of fame for announcers ? Possible the hall of fame in Canton Ohio, takes this in ? It seems I have football & baseball hall of fame locations mixed up.
  • You can bet Vin will be remembered in Cooperstown. I will personally see to it.