Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Stupidest Self-Made Millionaire

Because it’s funny and a little sad and actually says a lot about American culture: https://medium.com/lessons-from-history/the-stupidest-self-made-millionaire-7765515f8c71

Comments

• edited August 2022
    When … the printer commented on Dexter’s lack of punctuation. Dexter then decided to add a new page, solely presenting 12 rows of punctuation marks with the instruction that the readers “may peper and solt it as they plese”

Funny. The style seems a curious mix of historical chronicle and fable. Had me thinking of Washington Irving’s “The Devil and Tom Walker.”

Thanks for the chuckles.
  • Jayzuz. Lucky, indeed. At least he left his wealth behind so that others may benefit.
  • edited August 2022
    I kept wanting to compare him to a recent and infamous X Pres. The bluster and disregard for conventional norms are there as is the diminished mental capacity. But missing (in the latter) is the “self-made” part.
  • hank said:

I kept wanting to compare him to a recent and infamous X Pres. The bluster and disregard for conventional norms are there as is the diminished mental capacity. But missing (in the latter) is the “self-made” part.

Truth.