Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Resurrecting the Scotch Whisky (sic) thread

Never tried the Macallan 12-year single malt until today. EL-SMOOTH-O. Nice, delicious, even. Not biting, like the Laphroig. Although sometimes I'm in the mood for THAT. Mind you: one is Highland, one is Islay.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Re: “Resurrecting the Scotch Whisky (sic) thread”

Whiskey or Whisky—How to Spell It?
  • edited August 2022
    Re Scotch Whisky. It’s the only spirit I like and enjoy sparingly with some meals.

Nearly empty is a bottle of Glevenlivet 12 Year. At over $50 I don’t find it that much better than their cheaper Founders Reserve which ain’t bad at all. On the storage shelf (and trying to decide what to open next) are: 1 JWB, 1 Aberfeldy 12 Year, 1Dewars 12 Year, and a bottle of Tomatin Dualchas. That last one is a surprising value at Walmart for around $30. It’s Tomatin’s cheaper scotch and the aging isn’t published. But it’s likely to be whatever Scotland’s minimum by law requires which I believe to be around 7 years. Not bad at all and 86 proof at that.
  • Sounds good, @hank. You have good taste. I have enjoyed the cheaper Glenlivet, myself. JWB, I've not imbibed. It's just "in yer face," everywhere you go. I like to resist that sort of thing. Seems to me I recall trying Glenfiddich. THAT one tasted almost cloying, of pears. Another "hunch" was Loch Lomond. FORGET IT. DON'T GO THERE. It is fermented to taste like CANDY. YUX.
  • edited August 2022
    I can handle 1 or 2 bottles of Chivas a year. On the sweet side. But a decent change once in a while at around $36-37. I remember about 40-50 years ago when I was 25-30 spending a couple nights in a Gainesville Fla. Hilton. They had a machine right in the room that dispensed the mini-bottles of Chivas. My first real encounter with Scotch and it tasted pretty fine. Cleaned out the machine one night.:)
  • Giggle. .... Gainesville. Yes, quite familiar. Gawd, I remember skipping out on Friday's classes and driving from Indiana to Tallahassee. We created a 3-day week-end for ourselves. The Gators were up from Gainesville to play the Seminoles on the football field. It was Homecoming week-end. Beer and endless hours in the car. Fun. But no Scotch.