Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee September 2022
  • Derf September 2022
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AAII Sentiment Survey, 9/7/22

edited September 2022 in Other Investing
For the week ending on 9/7/22, Bearish remained the top sentiment (53.3%; very high) & bullish remained the bottom sentiment (18.1%; very low); neutral remained the middle sentiment (28.7%; below average); Bull-Bear Spread was -35.2% (very low). Investor concerns: Recession; inflation; supply-chain disruptions; the Fed; market volatility (VIX, VXN, MOVE); Russia-Ukraine war (28+ weeks); geopolitical. For the Survey week (Thursday-Wednesday), stocks were mixed (in spite of a big improvement on Wednesday), bonds down, oil down sharply (again), gold flat, dollar up. #AAII #Sentiment #Markets
https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/thread/141/aaii-sentiment-survey-weekly?page=7&scrollTo=771

Bearish sentiment has been very high in 2022 (Twitter LINK) as this bar chart of the annual average of bearish sentiment (YTD to 9/3/22) shows https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fbw77yWX0AAfcjg?format=png&name=900x900

Comments

• From chart it looks to me that high point has been reached. Time to send some powder into action ?
    Have a good day, Derf
  • beebee
    edited September 2022
    I charted Vanguard Wellesley (VWIAX) against the Total US Market (VTSMX) over the time frame 2008 - 2013. @Derf, be prepared to give your investment the time for the market to recover (5 years or longer). That said, I think we are at a point where more "pain" will impact the market (via the Fed). Bearish Market sentiment may stay high for a bit longer.

My short term money is in VWIAX (for spending today)...My long term money is in the equity Market (for future spending).

• bee , here's what I'm looking at. After high sentiment in '90 & '08 the next two years were up as / S&P500. Will that hold this time around ? As you stated , probably more pain to come.
    Guess I'll be upping my CD's after next rate hike.

Trying to enjoy the ride, Derf