Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Interesting “Portfolio Visualizer” App

edited September 2022 in Other Investing
I was looking for a way to understand the risk characteristics of my total portfolio and well as sub-sets within the whole.

This free app does all that. But it’s a “royal pain” to understand & use at first. I’ve spent close to 2 hours playing with it and inputting various portfolios. Handles funds and stocks. Easy to register. Use a nickname if you prefer and your choice of email for a confirmation code. Nothing else required.

What I’ve been able to do so far:

- Save 3 portfolios (the main one plus 2 sub-sets)

- Compare multiple years’ performance / volatility (including current) on a variety of formats (bar, graph, etc.) to a chosen benchmark (changeable when desired)

- By clicking “metrics” pull up a wide range of metrics applicable to a given portfolio. The benchmark selected defaults to a “beta” of 1. I found, for example, that my overall beta is about .95% of one of TRP’s conservative 40/ 60 funds. For those concerned about “drawdown” it calculates those numbers as well.

- It’s possible ro run some tests before registering. I used my “Alternative Assets” sub-portfolio with just 7 holdings for that purpose.

- Would be interested to know if anyone else finds this thing useful and in what ways.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/

Comments

• edited September 2022
    +1 Thanks Yogi.

From your list of Tips - “The free PV version doesn't allow STORING portfolios (anymore) … “

I found that not to be the case. After logging out (before posting here) I was still able to get back in. All 3 saved portfolios were intact. Bit of a hassle. My earlier password didn’t work. They quickly sent a new one to the same email. The issue is partially with Apple’s password generator which I was trying to circumvent in order to use a simpler password. There’s an option to “remain logged in” which would seem swell as long as you don’t share the device with others.
    -

Added: The more I use this app the better I like it. It “remembers” you well if you prefer to “stay logged in.” While the free version has indeed saved my 3 portfolios after logging out today, I’ll be curious to see if they are still there tomorrow. A Song - “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?”

Updated Report / Sunday 9/11 - First, the link I provided ceased allowing access. Appears to be designed for professionals only. The link asked only for my email which it rejected when entered. A Google search pulled up the same app at Apple’s App store. On downloading it I was granted immediate access without logging in and found my 3 portfioios still there.

I can understand why this app appeals to professional investment managers. Invredible capabilities. Nice presentation. One thing I hadn’t realized is that “Beta” is a moving target, changing over time. So, in comparing my current portfolios to various benchmarks in 2021 I found them a bit higher on a relative beta basis. I assume it’s because the funds I compare to are a lot heavier in bonds than I am, which held up better in 2021 than in the current year.