Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is it time to add bond funds?

Are you adding bond funds back in to your portfolio in the near future? If so which ones. I am looking at RPIEX.

Comments

• Perhaps add etfs so that you can sell quickly without transaction fees in case interest rates keep going up.
  • This is a question I don't have an answer to, but is there any reason going forward to think bonds and equities would not continue to walk in lockstep? They seem (I don't have proof) to be highly correlated in direction this past year. If they are currently correlated, I would prefer equities or at least a balanced fund approach versus straight bond funds, but that's just me.
  • edited September 2022
    RPIEX has been hedging its bond portfolio. Dunno if that's what they do all the time, but for now that's the reason it's making some $ while the rest of the FI universe gets whacked. It's reasonable to own now, but it's not typical, so the case for it doesn't apply to many other bond OEFs.
  • Balanced funds are still in my portfolio: PRWCX and BRUFX. Also, a rather new addition to the portfolio, just since the summer: Equity-Income, PRFDX. Quarterly dividends.

My only dedicated bond fund is domestic junk: TUHYX. It's been dropping in value. But I don't need the dividends, so those get re-invested at lower and lower share prices. Yes, there is the risk of default. But the fund is rather spread-out.

Since the sea-change started this year, I happened to start putting money into single stocks. Great timing. But I make sure what I own pays dividends.

I used to own PRSNX. "Global Multi-Asset Bond." TRP. I left it because I'm on-shoring pretty much most of my stuff. It's not bad. But TRP is not a great bond shop, as we all already know.
  • edited October 2022
    Rob Arnott:
    Add EM sovereigns in dollars and local currency EM corporates in this current environment. also: commodities, real estate. For diversification. DEFENSE. But also, bear in mind the attractive yields on EM debt right now--- even better than domestic Junk bonds.