Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Holy cow, what's going on with this stock? CMTV volatility

Check out the 1-month chart.
https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/cmtv?qsearchterm=cmtv

I still don't own it, but continue to track it. I note an 8+ percent drop in a single DAY? But maybe I'm reading it wrong? The posted statistic on that day told me so, though. So, even if I'm misreading the chart, the reported numbers don't lie, anyhow. Charts make my head hurt.

Comments

• Check the volume of its trades. Zero shares most days; others a couple of hundred; occasionally a couple thousand. Out of 5.42M shares; 5.21M public float. No wonder some trades greatly affect the price.
  • @orage. That's very clear. Thank you a great deal!
  • It's also traded OTC-so maybe this affects volatility as well.
  • edited January 2023
    Check out the market cap. Around $103 M doesn’t even put it in small-cap territory. Very small companies’ stocks tend to be both speculative and volatile.

The numbers: Typical market capitalizations

From the above: “Companies are typically divided according to market capitalization: large-cap ($10 billion or more), mid-cap ($2 billion to $10 billion), and small-cap ($300 million to $2 billion).”
  • Wow. .... So..... This is a regional BANK chain. Granted, it serves a not-so-very-populated area in Northern Vermont. But $103M market-cap would be a tiny, microcap entity, in corporate terms. I'd never have thought a bank could operate that way, at that scale, in this day and age! Thanks for the responses.