Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cities Get Tough on Homelessness - WSJ

edited January 2023 in Off-Topic
Mental-health advocates in New York are challenging a plan to involuntarily send mentally ill homeless people to psychiatric hospitals. Cities across the U.S. have been introducing tougher measures to address the growing problem of homelessness, prompting a number of court challenges that could set guideposts on how far municipalities can go. Local governments have been experimenting with a range of homeless policies, such as involuntarily removing people from the streets when they appear to be mentally ill, confiscating belongings or evicting the homeless from public property. City officials say the measures are necessary to address situations that are threatening public safety and leaving homeless people themselves living in conditions that are unsafe and unsanitary. Rates of street homelessness around the country have been on the rise for more than a decade, driven in part by the skyrocketing cost of housing in many places.”

Excerpt from: The Wall Street Journal - January 18, 2023

Comments

• There's no such thing as affordable housing here. There are some subsidized apartments, but they are full-up. An apartment in one of those places is like a Green Bay Packers Season Ticket. Demand simply exceeds supply, since forever. And because of the climate, the homeless need not seek indoor shelter--- even if a day like today proves to be uncomfortable. Wet and windy. The homeless here are in public parks, at wide spots in the sidewalk where there are bus stops...... all around. Everywhere you turn. You can't swing a dead cat without bumping into the homeless on Oahu, especially in Honolulu.

So, I sympathize. Local gummint couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. It's disgraceful, how much they can't get done. I support policies which would pre-empt the "right" of the homeless to live in squalor, without the security of indoor habitation, particularly when they suffer from mental illness. The foundational assumption, it seems to me is that it's just plain basically wrong to let people live with zero dignity, safety and security. The homeless will never ALL comply and utilize whatever is made available to them. But addressing the problem starts by acknowledging their innate dignity, even when it doesn't seem to matter to themselves. They are in the spot they are in because they disregard their own dignity. Medical help, prescriptions, social services as well as housing itself must all be involved and included. (But this country is still too stoopid to come up with a universal medical plan. Oops, I just remembered.)