Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• No EM here. I read Rondure and I read Seafarer, and they taste the same. no. no more.
  • edited February 2023
    Thanks for the post Shadow. I enjoyed the read.

@Crash, I'd say "they taste the same" because they are pretty similar for risk management and stewardship. RNWOX and SFGIX are 2 excellent EM choices, if you want to be in the EM market. I kind of agree with most pundits. With the dollar starting to weaken, even slightly, and valuations much lower than the US, it may be time to invest in this category again. I own RNWOX fwiw. It's actually been a smoother ride, less drawdown and volatility than many domestic funds.

edit: Crash, compare RNWOX volatility to say a fund like PRISX that you mention a lot or any of the individual bank stocks. You may be surprised with the risk-reward comparison over the past year.
  • Thanks for the thoughts, @MikeM. For now, I'll be coasting with what I already own. Stinky week, this week.

Geritz and Foster write with candor. But their records are less than great. Matthews would maybe love to get Foster back there. I'm sure he'd not even think about it at this point. Some years ago, I owned his Seafarer fund. Not much to write home about. I'm staying away from EM. It always just burns me.
  • Geritz and Foster write with candor. But their records are less than great.
    What? They are both 5 star funds and great owls, I believe. Less than great may pertain to the category, but not these managers.

Agree though if you aren't comfortable on EM you should stay away. Domestic has been the winner for a long time. I believe this is changing, or already has, but comfortable is important.