Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Only for the sake of peeking ahead, Sunday, March 19, .....If you're curious

edited March 2023 in Fund Discussions
After 5 pm, CST for FINVIZ , and for Global Indices, as their markets open around the globe.

ADD: Popular Global ETF's

Comments

• edited March 2023
    I’d expect futures will open lower. Asia will be interesting too. It’s curious that there’s been nothing from the “Fed Open Mouth Committee” of late. Are they in their blackout period?
  • edited March 2023
    Btcusd mirror qqq +1.7% over weekend
  • edited March 2023
    Thanks @Crash

March 11 - 23

Uncanny timing …
  • BITCOIN UP 5% AFTER NEWS OF FED BACKSTOP ON SVB DEPOSITS
  • catch22 said:

After 5 pm, CST for FINVIZ , and for Global Indices, as their markets open around the globe.

Oh, darn it and I gave Bill Ray Valentine Friday off. (context FINVIZ 12:25PM PDT, I think)

• Anna said:

catch22 said:

Oh, darn it and I gave Bill Ray Valentine Friday off. (context FINVIZ 12:25PM PDT, I think)

That's okay, and while Randolph is in the hospital, Mortimer is still around to turn the machines back on....

• Popular Global ETF's as they trade. Ranging from equity to currency. I've also added this to the original post, so that one has 3 decent market views in one location.
  • edited March 2023
    Well, Monday morning the word Stategery comes to mind. WTF should an investor do? At bedtime the Dow futures were + 450. Just before the open today they are - 250. Yields on 2 year notes have plummeted overnight. So have yields on the 10-year, but to a lesser extent. Precious metals have gone wild. Silver leading the way up 3-4% this morning. The dollar’s getting slammed. Looks to me like many foreign denominated holdings will soar.

Anybody have a strategy for playing this mess?
  • I don't really have a strategy, but I did move most of my Schwab MM to 3 mo treasuries this morning. Contemplating adding more IAU. Just don't know what Peter to take from to pay Paul.
  • edited March 2023
    +1 @MikeM

First day in a while I’m not tempted to do anything. Can you believe the 10-year is under 3.5% after having topped 4% only a week ago? If I heard correctly a few minutes ago, trading in Schwab temporarily halted due to volatility. Definitely Mike’s fault for moving his fortune out of their money market fund.
  • Yes, my vast fortune:) It was a pretty conservative move. The 3 mo treasuries were paying a few 10ths more than the MM anyway. I did put a couple limits orders in to buy more IAU. I've been adding to gold in dribs and drabs anyway in preparation for the deficit fight, so not really a knee jerk reaction.

• edited March 2023
    @hank
    Taking periodic looks at the ETF link in this thread to watch which sectors are moving which way.
    Schwab was down about 20% for a bit this morning, and ballpark about -35% for the past 5 days.
    Staying put with our stuff, at 50% equity (mostly healthcare, some robotics), 25% IG bonds and 25% MMKT.
    NOTE: Bloomberg just noted, if I heard properly; that the FED will not have a rate increase in March. Mike McKee quipped that he is surprised they didn't wait until the CPI was announced this week. I do believe CPI and other numbers are way down on the 'consequence' chart right now.
  • Not exactly. Our strategy has been conservative this year with large cash position in T bills, CDs and MM. Having gold and some alternatives is good now. IG bonds shot up (yields likely got hit). We are with Fidelity and Vanguard brokerages and they are both privately owned. Until dust settle we won’t make major moves.
  • This investing environment will blow up ANY plan or strategy. I'm hanging on. The homework I've done re: the investments I've chosen tells me these entities will survive the current feces flying all around. I'm not going to flail at some long-shot or no-name item featured on CNBC or Yahoo Finance. ...I've said many times: Mr. Market overreacts to EVERYTHING. This is a case in point. It feels awful. But I'm not running into cash. In some cases, this is a buying opportunity for me. My brokerage total is only one-tenth of the amount I hold in the IRA. Riding it out. BRUFX and PRWCX were actually UP today. Along with PSTL (REIT) and SCHP (Tips.)
  • edited March 2023
    Bump, if one wants to watch markets again before Monday open.

Popular Global ETF's This list will populate changes at the U.S. market open.
  • edited March 2023
    There’s some really interesting analysis of all the recent events on Bloomberg this evening. Some thoughtful, articulate and knowledgeable guests. I’m at least a week behind reading my FT subscription. And then there’s the WSJ I never quite get fully caught up on. It’s all fascinating stuff. Just so much financial news … !
  • edited March 2023
    I fully enjoy college b-ball and now is March Madness time. Watched MSU move to the next round a few hours ago; but BBG is on the tv at this time for a bit. Won't attempt to digest much more of the business news tonight; and have an appointment mid-day on Monday; but will catch as much as possible the BBG 6-9am. Great folks there.
  • Kansas State next, for the Spartans, Thurs. And Gonzaga? Next opponent is UCLA on the same day. Go, Bulldogs. Amazing buzzer-beater shot from half-court by TCU today, but they still lost.
    https://uproxx.com/dimemag/tcu-gonzaga-bad-beat-buzzer-beater-video/
  • @catch22 @Crash Lets move this conversation to OT , not over time ! I'd like to inject some comments , but OT is where this belongs.
    Go Badgers, Derf
  • @Derf
    If you're referring to the b-ball pieces here; then start a b-ball thread in OT. I made a brief remark to hank that I finished watching b-ball and then moving to Bloomberg for some of the evening and than again today/now; to help me assess the markets. I'm not changing this to OT, as there are valid market links here. There need not be anymore reference in this thread, that does not pertain to the original subject matter.
  • edited March 2023
    Lighten up @Derf!

:)
  • uh-oh.
  • @catch22 & @hank & @Crash March Madness made me do it !!
    BB nut, Derf
    P.S. I'm still waiting to hear from all in OT.