Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

CA Atmospheric River Scenes

WOW! @Old_Joe

Let me know if you need a canoe or snow shovels.

Scenes

Comments

• Hey Mark- thanks for that report - who knows what's next? We lost part of a tree in front of the SF home, but no real damage. So far, so good up at the Russian River place. This series of storms (known locally as the "pineapple express" because they typically originate near the Hawaiian islands ) has behaved very differently than in past years- typically the pineapple express impacts areas somewhat to the north of San Francisco, and then move eastward from there. In years past this has caused some pretty major floods in that northern coastal area, which is where the Russian River house is located.

This year the major coastal impact area has so far been well to the south of SF, in fact extending all the way down to the LA areas. Very unusual. Very heavy damage to the agricultural areas inland from Santa Cruz and Monterey in Central CA, impacting of course the poor communities of farmworkers who work their butts off and don't have a whole lot to start with.

Baseball Fan's "GOD" at work... again. Evidently "GOD" doesn't particularly care for poor people.
  • A typical scene from the Santa Cruz mountains area-

Damage to a main freeway (Hwy 580) just to the east of the San Francisco area-

The storm cut loose barges which then crashed into a bridge in SF, near the Oracle Park baseball stadium-

Along the SF Bay waterfront just to the south of Market Street, with the Bay Bridge in the background-

Damage to boats and docks in Oakland, across the bay from SF-

Picture credits: The San Francisco Chronicle
  • It pains me more when I see places I've viewed and driven countless times. What a shame.