Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I guess they will have to fire all the masseuses and eliminate the free three meals a day.

I don't know if anyone here has been to Google office. My wife visited a friend there. The benefits are unbelievable. Seriously free food at dozens of meal carts and food stations three times a day dozens of snacks etc etc

But this is really mean spirited

The company declined to pay the remainder of laid-off employees’ maternity and medical leaves, CNBC previously reported.
  • edited April 2023
    There isn't any limit actually to the number of meals in a day -- at least in the Dallas and Austin offices. Food is served pretty much all day.

Tech cos do this to incentivize staff to spend longer hours in the office. This is a pretty standard playbook. Other firms offer car washes, car detail, laundry drop-off, comfy wifi buses, etc..
  • I was right, but I forgot that they were all fired in January

Google’s finance chief Ruth Porat recently said in a rare companywide email that the company is making cuts to employee services. . . Google employees have [already] noticed some more extreme cutbacks to office supplies in recent weeks. Staplers and tape are no longer being provided to print stations companywide as “part of a cost effectiveness initiative,” according to a separate, internal facilities directive viewed by CNBC.

“We set a high bar for industry-leading perks, benefits and office amenities and we will continue to do that into the future,” Porat’s email stated. “However, some programs need to evolve for how Google works today.”

“Now that most of us are in three days a week, we’ve noticed our supply/demand ratios are a bit out of sync: We’ve baked too many muffins on a Monday, seen GBuses run with just one passenger, and offered yoga classes on a Friday afternoon when folks are more likely to be working from home” the document stated.

As part of January U.S. layoffs, the company let go of more than two dozen on-site massage therapists.
  • Thanks for the update/correction, @sma3.
    I'm still not jealous. Or tired. Or proud. (As Arlo would say.) Retirement is entirely too nice. :)

Looking for a job was always the worst thing I could think of to have to be doing.
  • I have to look back and see how these layoffs and cutbacks compare to other ones for GOOGL etc.

A number of my son's college friends (class of 2014) went to work there and APPL etc and crowed about how great they had it. Massages 24/7 free food all day etc. Some of them didnt bother getting an apartment, they just slept in their spacious offices, ate free showered in the gym etc.

GOOGL would let you work anywhere in the world you wanted to and I think provided low cost housing there.

They told him he was crazy for going into English and teaching

The party may be coming to an end.
  • @Crash. Agree about looking for a job. The worst. I solved that problem by starting my own enterprise. Never had to look for a job again.
  • @Crash. Actually for a person with very little ambition becoming self employed was a bit awkward. But no more looking for another job and no more bosses made it work. For exactly 30 years. Of faking it.