Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Netflix and Korean content.

NETFLIX
I once had a Netflix subscription. Paid for it and everything! Time after time I would scroll through dozens and dozens of their offerings looking for something that might interest me. The phrase "needle in a haystack" now comes to mind. I often thought that more great content must be in there somewhere and I was just too obtuse to find it. Well, either that is in fact the case or no, stuff that might be of interest to me is not in there. Even if it were free I wouldn't bother to tune in. Consequently I dropped my subscription at least two price rises ago. I'm not sure Netflix management understands how "optional" they are and with just a few missteps, in terms of pricing or content, things might implode.
sfnative April 2022 in Other Investing

And now, THIS:
"Netflix's $2.5B investment in Korean content appeals to audiences worldwide." So says CNBC Entertainment writer, Audrey Wan.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/12/netflixs-2point5-billion-investment-in-korean-content-targets-global-audience.html
LAUGHING WAY TOO LOUD at that headline, here.

Comments

• edited May 2023
    Did you ever use the 'word search' feature? Like in 'opera' or specific title names or specific actor names or specific series name. Documentaries and history available.
    $15.49/month Premium or$9.99 Standard/month account. What do these monies per month buy in Hono? What's the cost of one decent lunch or supper in Hono? How much is one matinee ticket, 1 small soft drink, and 1 small pop corn in Hono?
    And one has the pleasure of watching during their own hours of choice, never mind the weather or having to get dressed up or travel. Eat/drink whatever you want with your viewing choice. Pause the program to take a pee or make a sandwich. AND if you don't like your choice...just move along to something else. Wanna watch 'that' again.....go ahead, have a redo.
    Not very much money from a monthly budget, eh?
    If one chooses to hold Netflix stock over a 5 year period, you'll likely pay for the subscription from stock appreciation. The 'old' invest in, what you like.

If you ever return to NetFlix, try this one 'Crash Landing on You'. You'll discover comedy and drama and some interesting insights in South and North Korean life from 16 episodes. Sub-titled in English. But, one makes do and good for keeping the aging mind in full mode.

Patience Grasshopper !!!

No displeasure with Netflix, from this house.

• edited May 2023
    Ditto what Catch said. The streaming services can be clunky to navigate. Each one is different. Need to identify their search option. Sometimes it’s a symbol (like a magnifying glass for example) you click first. Then a blank field pops up where you can type in the title you’re looking for. But they can be frustrating. If you don’t mind paying $3.99 for a 2-day rental, Amazon Prime Movie is the easiest to do searches on. Much easier than the others.

I don’t watch many movies. Mostly only in the winter months as the on-screen projector I use looks a lot better in a dark room. And it’s daylight here now until 9 or 10 PM in the summer. I still remember how “thrilling” it was 20+ years ago to rent movies by DVD from Netflix. Little red envelopes would come to your home and later you stuffed them back into a mail box to return. “High Tech” then. How times have changed.
  • +1.

I can use Netflix, but every particular title I want to watch, they tell me they don't have. I flip through the suggested offerings...... Once in a blue moon I find a couple of nuggets. I've started with Tubi. Damn commercials, though. There's more content on there that I am interested in.
  • edited May 2023
    Yeah - It’s a lot different today than when Netflix started out. Back in the DVD days they carried almost everything. Now each provider has their own domain and they don’t much overlap. I dropped Netflix long ago for that reason. Like I said earlier, for just occasional viewing, I use Amazon Prime. You don’t need to be a member to rent videos. A lot of people jump around among streaming services month to month. You can usually stop and start subscriptions at will. Good luck @Crash
  • Thanks.:)