Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

John Dingell, Jr. and Gun Proliferation

John Dingell was not my congressman when he was in office, although his district was close by. Debbie Dingell, due to redistricting, is now my rep. The linked article from The NY Times investigates how John was a crucial part of the NRA’s efforts to fight off gun control, making it much easier for your every-day whacko to purchase a deadly firearm. Dingell was not the only member of the House or of the Senate to aid the NRA, but his role was central. Personally, I feel jilted and I’m kicking myself for not knowing sooner what this supposed icon was doing behind the scenes as he gained a reputation for being a great champion of liberal causes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/30/us/politics/nra-congress-firearms.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Comments

• edited July 2023
    "The Brady organization argued that their (the legislators in the story) fiduciary duty to the N.R.A. conflicted with their government roles." Change the word "government" to "nonprofit organization," and those actions would be a clear conflict of interest that no nonprofit COI policy would allow. It's not just the Supreme Court that gets to ignore the rules essentially everybody else has to play by.
  • retarded, screwed up, corrupt, stinky puke-y.