Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SP500 Pullback Numbers

edited August 2023 in Other Investing
A healthy pullback for SP500 would be -5% to -10%. Note that from 7/27/23 high, the 50-dMA is -4.35% below and 200-dMA -11.08% below. So, the pullback may be seen as the tests of 50-dMA, then 200-dMA.

Once the selling starts, where does it stop? Hopefully, -10% to -11% (200-dMA).

Don't forget that 10/13/22 low was a decent amount BELOW the MAs, -11.42% BELOW 50-dMA, -16.21% BELOW 200-dMA. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't go there as that would be -24.21% below 7/27/23 high.

As a practical matter, I may start buying somethings when we are down -5% to -10% and scale in more as needed.

https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=1&mn=0&dy=0&id=p11025466305

Comments

• Watching, too. One suspects that those who don't watch often may be surprised with your time frame and more so with YTD numbers. The annualized rates of returns at this time should find some sell pressure and perhaps a rotation into other sectors that have not performed as well.
    A few I monitor: FTEC (Fidelity tech), QQQ (growth stocks overall), FBCG (Fidelity Blue Chip Growth) and FBALX.
    Chart of these four from Oct. 18, 2022. Some of the YTD numbers are better. EX: FBCG was +48 YTD prior to this weeks sell down.
  • Earning report has been so so. Apple fell short for several quarters. Think I will pick up more T bills for next week’s auction.