Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jacob Internet Fund (Institutional Class Shares) to be liquidated

edited November 2023 in Fund Discussions
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1090372/000089418923008223/jacobinternetfundshareclas.htm

497 1 jacobinternetfundshareclas.htm 497

Jacob Internet Fund
Institutional Class Shares (JAMIX)

November 3, 2023

Supplement to the Prospectus and Statement of Additional Information (“SAI”)
dated January 5, 2023

This supplement amends the Prospectus and SAI of the Fund.

The Board of Directors of Jacob Funds Inc. (the “Company”) have determined to liquidate and dissolve the Institutional Class Shares of the Jacob Internet Fund series of the Company (the “Fund”) effective on or about November 17, 2023 (the “Liquidation Date”). The liquidation proceeds will be distributed to any remaining shareholders of Institutional Class Shares of the Fund (the “Shareholders”) on or about the Liquidation Date.

Until the Liquidation Date, Shareholders will have the opportunity to exchange their shares for shares of any other Jacob Fund on any business day by contacting the Fund’s transfer agent, U.S. Bank Global Fund Services, at 1-888-JACOB-FX (1-888-522-6239). Please see “Exchange of Fund Shares” in the Prospectus for additional information about such exchanges. Shareholders may redeem their Fund shares at any time prior to the Liquidation Date.

The Institutional Class Shares of the Fund are now closed to new investors due to the planned liquidation. Additionally, the Fund will no longer accept additional investments in Institutional Class Shares of the Fund from existing shareholders.

Please retain this Supplement with your Prospectus and Statement of Additional Information for future reference.

Comments

• Now there's a name out of the past.

Odd that instead of combining share classes (there's still investor class shares JAMFX), the board decided to liquidate one class of shares. Based on ERs, I suspect that there are few institutional shares outstanding. "Other expenses" are 0.22% higher for the institutional shares than for the retail shares. As a result, the ERs of the two share classes are almost identical.
    Prospectus

OTOH, at $40M total AUM, this one star fund may not be long for this world.
  • Stuff didn't add up, so I did some snooping around.

First, Jacob Internet JAMFX (12/1999- ; ER 2.02%, min $2.5K) is the ORIGINAL dot.com era hot fund that crashed-&-burned-&-burned-over. It is still around as a fund even smaller than its shadow.

Then Institutional class JAMIX (12/2021- ; ER 1.99%, min $100K) was started in 12/2021. So, who was anxious to get in for just 3 bps ER reduction? It seems that there was only 1 victim who has since withdrawn most of the money.

1/5/23 Prospectus filing showed AUMs as of 8/31/23:
    JAMFX $69.1 million
    JAMIX $133K

Fido shows 9/30/23 class AUM of $44.75 million for JAMFX, total $44.76 million for all classes. My math says that JAMIX now has AUM of $10K+ only.

M* and Yahoo Finance just show total AUM, so their data weren't helpful for this.

The filing says JAMIX is liquidating (not merged into the other class). I checked SEC/Edgar and there is no filing that I could find related to the closure/liquidation of JAMFX. So, I suppose that JAMFX will continue.

Then, the filing is just to shake out the residuals of JAMIX. A strange way of doing things, i.e. liquidating one class when there is another continuing class.