Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

I'd better start saving or start saving more

Bottle of Scotch whisky sells for a record $2.7 million at auction

"LONDON (AP) — A bottle of Scotch whisky billed as “the most sought-after” in the world sold Saturday for almost 2.2 million pounds ($2.7 million), an auction record for a bottle of wine or spirits.

The Macallan Adami 1926 sold at Sotheby’s in London, after a bidding war between would-be buyers on the phone and in the room.

Just 40 bottles of The Macallan 1926 were bottled in 1986 after being aged in sherry casks for 60 years. Twelve of the bottles, including the one sold Saturday, had labels designed by Italian painter Valerio Adami."

"The final price of 2,187,500 pounds ($2,714,250) includes a charge known as the buyer’s premium on top of the sale price of 1.75 million pounds. The price well exceeded the pre-sale estimate of 750,000 pounds to 1.2 million pounds."

From Associated Press Finance

Comments

• Wonder if tastes any better than a $80 bottle?
  • Any inflation value/age tracking numbers on bottles with mahogany-colored liquids inside?
  • edited November 2023
    I can believe Mark’s number however. I’m finding an 8 ounce bottle of water, vinegar, salt, seasonings and food color (A-1 steak sauce) running about $5.00 in some stores here. Works out to well over $200 per-gallon. Maybe the seller of this nutritionless crap is the one who’s buying Mark’s expensive scotch?
  • I really wanted that bottle of Scotch but I'm a little short after acquiring that 1962 Ferrari a week ago. MJG was right- I should have run a few more Monte Carlo(s).
  • edited November 2023
    Old_Joe said:

”MJG was right- I should have run a few more Monte Carlo(s)”.

- - That’s what he meant? All these years I’ve been drinking these things thinking it would make me rich. :)

image.