Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Corporate Tax Avoidance in the First Five Years of the Trump Tax Law

Article

BY the INSTITUTE ON TAXATION AND ECONOMIC POLICY

Comments

• "...Corporate tax avoidance occurs because Congress allows it to occur, and the Trump tax law in many ways made it worse. The corporate minimum tax and expanded tax enforcement funding signed into law in 2022 by President Biden could begin to reduce corporate tax avoidance, as would other proposals from the White House that have not yet become law...."

• A bit OT but this is what this thread made me think about. I think the US has had better luck spreading capitalism worldwide than democracy worldwide. This thread put my mind on this when I started wondering how corporate taxation could be leveled worldwide so countries could start competing for business at the same point. And, of course, this is because of the nature of capitalism's relationship to so many factors internal to countries. And, yes, I quickly concluded it would be difficult to impossible to level even the starting line.
  • @Anna - just reading about what you were doing made me want to take a nap.
  • edited March 4
    @Mark, yea, I'm old and boring at this point but find harmless things to bore myself with. Strange ways to waste time at my age.
  • @Anna - not bored, it just sounded like a lot of work
  • ...Just thinking about Ireland, the corporate tax haven. Shameless. I wonder if or whether the EU might, if they chose to do it, even things out, cross-borders?