Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ICI Money Funds Update

... this may be one heck of a coiled spring if/when rates start coming down and that cash moves back into equities of all types, yes?

c/o: https://www.ici.org/research/stats/mmf

Total money market fund assets increased by $18.65 billion to $6.08 trillion for the week ended Wednesday, March 6, the Investment Company Institute reported today. Among taxable money market funds, government funds increased by $21.56 billion and prime funds decreased by $3.57 billion. Tax-exempt money market funds increased by $658 million.

< - >

Retail: Assets of retail money market funds increased by $15.07 billion to $2.38 trillion. Among retail funds, government money market fund assets increased by $7.77 billion to $1.53 trillion, prime money market fund assets increased by $6.49 billion to $740.23 billion, and tax-exempt fund assets increased by $807 million to $109.08 billion.

Institutional: Assets of institutional money market funds increased by $3.59 billion to $3.69 trillion. Among institutional funds, government money market fund assets increased by $13.79 billion to $3.40 trillion, prime money market fund assets decreased by $10.06 billion to $279.26 billion, and tax-exempt fund assets decreased by $149 million to $10.84 billion.

Comments

• A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush ! Maybe ?
  • On the surface, it looks bullish for equity, but I wonder if a lot of that money is there in lieu of 'safe' bonds? We may get a run there or in moderate funds instead?
  • On the surface, it looks bullish for equity, but I wonder if a lot of that money is there in lieu of 'safe' bonds? We may get a run there or in moderate funds instead?

I guess it all depends on how long-dated the bonds are in those MMFs? I still think there's more kindling to spark a run higher on equities, but my crystal ball is never 100%...
  • edited March 8
    Looking at the long-term trend for m-mkt fund assets at FRED, during the ZIRP, the m-mkt fund assets were around $2.8 trillion, the pandemic levels around $5 trillion, then the trend picked up in 2023, and the assets now are around $6.36 trillion. Unclear why the ICI data are a bit lower at $6.08 trillion. It is counterintuitive that m-mkt fund assets are going up in a bull market run.
    Personally, my fixed-income portion lately has more m-mkt funds and ultra-ST bond funds than in the long past.
    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=1i18j