Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FIDO Tax Gotcha

On my wife's Fidelity 1099 they no longer report the actual dividend amounts per each position ( unlike Schwab).

41% of the SPAXX income is from Treasuries and is not taxed by states, but to determine this you have to go to the "Year end report " to see the Dollar amount then find the Fidelity form that lists each Funds % from US treasuries and caluculate this

What a PIA

Comments

• Only difference is that Schwab mailed 1099 reports include the Yearend Report supplement, while Fido make you go online for them - it mails only the legal 1099.

Then, all brokerages are similar - you have to hunt for online document that lists % from US Government Obligations in their funds.
  • edited March 12
    @sma3,

If you are looking at a paper copy, may be some pages are missing. Try downloading the pdf. Or may be i am not following your predicament. Each of my Fido MMs' dividends, including the sweep fund's, are listed by month in the Supplemental Info pages.

That format is no different from other brokerages I have.
  • @BaluBalu

You are correct. It is in the supplement in the pdf but not mailed

Too bad if you didnt think to look!
  • vanguard has been the same for many years, with 2 main PDFs. its up to individuals to track down the federal and state gov related income and distributions that may be relevant to tax filing.
    TRPRice has online tables that need be parsed.