Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BRIDGE DOWN

Anyone care to comment on what caused this cargo container ship to lose ability to steer ? I heard this evening that this was the third time the owners of this company have wound up in trouble while sailing the seas ! Insurance will probably pay out 2 - 3 billion to get everything paid off.

Comments

• I can say with 100% confidence that what caused this cargo container ship to lose ability to steer is that something either broke or stopped working properly.
  • @Old_Joe Possible bad fuel ?
  • Contaminated fuel one possible cause of ship disaster- Investigators to examine whether dirty fuel played role

Following are excerpts from a current report in The Wall Street Journal:

A safety probe into a Baltimore bridge collapse will include whether contaminated fuel played a role in a giant cargo ship losing power and crashing into the span, according to people familiar with the investigation.

The lights on the Dali began to flicker about an hour after the ship began its voyage early Tuesday. A harbor pilot and assistant reported power issues and a loss of propulsion before the crash, according to a Coast Guard briefing report viewed by The Wall Street Journal.

“The vessel went dead, no steering power and no electronics,” said an officer aboard the ship Tuesday. “One of the engines coughed and then stopped. The smell of burned fuel was everywhere in the engine room and it was pitch black.” The ship didn’t have time to drop anchors to stop drifting, the officer said. Crew members issued a mayday call before the accident.

Blackouts at sea aren’t common, but they do happen and have long been considered a major accident risk for ships.

One cause is contaminated fuel that can create problems with the ship’s main power generators, said Fotis Pagoulatos, a naval architect in Athens. A complete blackout could result in a ship losing propulsion, he said. Smaller generators can kick in but they can’t carry all the functions of the main ones and take time to fire up.

• edited March 27
    @Derf- They will definitely be taking a close look at that. If it should turn out to be the cause, will the money saved by buying crappy fuel cover the value of the lost lives and the loss of the bridge? Maybe Boeing CEO David Calhoun would be a good person to help evaluate that.
  • I feel ever so sorry for the poor souls who lost their lives. What a horrible way to go.
  • For sure.
  • Today's Times reports that all members of the ship's crew are still on board and working full time to maintain the vessel where it sits. Seems odd to me, but they certainly have enough fuel and provisions to do so.