Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best Fund Managers?

Our roster of best managers featured here met these screening criteria:

They’re running actively managed funds that land in one of the large-cap stock US fund Morningstar Categories: large growth, large blend, or large value.

They oversee a fund with at least one share class earning a Morningstar Medalist Rating of Gold with 100% analyst coverage.

Management holds 100 stocks or fewer as of their most recently reported portfolios.

The managers of these top concentrated funds focused on large-cap stocks meet our criteria as of April 29, 2024.

Diamond Hill Large Cap (DHLYX)
Dodge & Cox Stock (DODGX)
JPMorgan Equity Income (OIEJX)
Loomis Sayles Growth (LSGRX)
MFS Value (MEIJX)
Oakmark (OAKMX)
Parnassus Core Equity (PRBLX)
Principal Blue Chip (PGBHX)
T. Rowe Price All-Cap Opportunities Fund (PRWAX)
Vanguard Dividend Growth (VDIGX)

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/10-best-fund-managers

Comments

• edited May 2
    Apparently “managers” refers to the fund company and not an individual person. Caught this when I looked to see who is managing DODGX (team managed I believe). If you can forgive D&C for a horrible ‘08 they are great.

I don’t know if these are “the best” in 2024. I guess they’re referencing just a select category of large cap funds: ” … these top concentrated funds focused on large-cap stocks” (Sounds like M* is trying to sell copy.)

Personally, I find M*’s medalist ratings helpful and worth a look. Have bought into 1 or 2 of their “gold” or “silver” funds with success. But not flawless.

Thanks @Observant1
  • edited May 3
    Dodge & Cox (D&C) is a fine privately owned firm founded in 1930.
    Their mutual funds are team-managed and have low expenses out of the gate.
    Long-term performance for most D&C funds was good the last time I checked.
    I own DOXIX in my 401(k).
    If I was seeking a Large Value fund, DODGX would be on my shortlist.

M* Fund Analyst Reports can be quite good but quality varies depending on the caliber of the analyst.
    Unlike M*, I do not consider most mutual funds that hold 100 stocks to be concentrated.
  • I own only one - PRWAX. Does anyone here own OAKMX?
  • BaluBalu said:

I own only one - PRWAX. Does anyone here own OAKMX?

Yes, we currently own OAKMX, having exchanged VWNDX for it earlier this year. We had previously owned OAKMX for several years. Very good fund - not sure why we ever parted with it.

We also like you own PRWAX.
  • "We had previously owned OAKMX for several years. Very good fund - not sure why we ever parted with it."

Possibly it had something to do with the WaMu debacle.
  • Mark said:

"We had previously owned OAKMX for several years. Very good fund - not sure why we ever parted with it."

Possibly it had something to do with the WaMu debacle.

Cha-ching!
  • I just finished a look for best performing Dividend and Dividend growth funds and was surprised that VDIGX has not beaten many similar funds.

VIG pays a higher Dividend and is ahead for last few years, as is SCHD

PRDGX seems to be a better dividend growth fund as well
  • None of those, VIG,SCHD,or PRDGX appeal to me on a dividend payment basis (too low) which prompted me to build my own dividend fund. I understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea.
  • @Mark - Good for you. I hope that you do well with that- I always wondered if that would work. I imagine that it takes a lot of attention to stay on top of changing situations.
  • @Old-Joe - thanks. It kinda does but I mitigate it by using only the bluest of the blue chips or other high quality holdings that are tops in class. IOW I try not to include anything gimmicky or something that I need to be on like a hawk. So currently it's packed with the likes of ABBV, MCD, EPD, LYB, NNN, O, PEP, TGT and others. Through sheer luck I've got substantial capital gains in all of these and any financial advisor worth their salt would probably advise me to sell them but I'm not in the mood or so inclined. They do what I was hoping for and I just try to stay out of the way.
  • @Mark
    Sounds like a great plan!
  • edited May 3
    I have some sense of what @Mark owns from having read his posts a long time. I’d say he’s doing very well. Well ahead of the gang game.:)

Who was it said, “Modesty is a virtue …” ?
  • Thanks
  • Those are all strong funds. I would add the following to your list which I own:
    FCNTX— large cap growth
    PEQSX— large cap value
    GQEFX— large cap blend
    Each of these are top performers in their style for the 1, 3 and 5 year timeframes. Each have consistency from year to year. And each fund tends to be concentrated in the names they like. They also have good ulcer ratings vs their competition.
  • @Mark

Many of the stocks you mention are in SHCD which pays 3.4%

It excludes REITS and while I think it has too many small positions it is good for one stop shopping, relatively low volatility ad a decent payout.
  • @sma3 - I can't argue that about SCHD at all. All I was trying to say originally is that it wasn't paying enough to suit my goals for that type of investment.

When I set out on this path (i.e. dividend growth investor) I was looking for stocks that had a track record of consistent, long-term dividend growth with the opportunity for capital appreciation as a secondary objective. The funds I scoured (many) all seemed to be paying yields that one could easily increase (often substantially) by simply investing in their top-5 or 10 picks. TIBIX was the fund I was using back then but after a few years of doing as advertised, building their income, it stagnated and eventually came to a halt. I wasn't smart enough to figure out why that happened and I wasn't sure any similar fund wouldn't do exactly the same.

As also previously mentioned, I get that it's not everyones cup of tea. I'll also admit that holding my current choices may constrain the capital appreciation aspect but the income continues to increase which was my primary objective.
  • beebee
    edited May 5
    @Mark,

Seems one could sleep well knowing that the income generated (in dollars) is what matters to a retiree who might be considering other income generating options (annuities for one).

Do you find that you are able to generate income equal to or greater than say a 4% safe withdrawal rate on divis only?

If so, I am intrigued to learn more for at least part of my retirement income sleeve. Please share.
  • edited May 4
    Investing in individual stocks using a dividend growth approach is intriguing.
    Perhaps a new thread can be created for this topic?
    Thanks!
  • edited May 6
    @bee - That's a fair question and one that I honestly can't answer with any degree of certainty. I can relate how it pertains to me but that's about it.

1) Most of my DG portfolio holdings were bought at depressed valuations (on sale if you wish). I probably wouldn't buy most of them today because of stretched valuations but I would, and do, pick at them when the opportunities present themselves. I think stock selection is as important as the dividend growth potential.

2) The current combined yield is 5.8% (at today's equity values) which easily funds my needs and then some without having to sell any shares.

3) Selling shares at some point in the future would of course decrease the income generated or would it? The income from this portfolio has doubled since I established it and that's without the benefit of dividend reinvestment.

4) Which leads me to this point * where would you be dummy (me) if you had reinvested those dividends!!!???* Ah, if only.

I'm going to try to set up the portfolio in PV (Portfolio Vision) and see what it says. To be honest I never gave it much thought (silly right?) because I was focused on income generation and hopeful CG's.
  • Hey @Mark, you did good... real good. Congrats!
  • @Mark

Is that 5.8% of your current account value, or your cost basis? Isn't it hard to generate a yield that high without a lot of MLPs and REITS and /or BDCs etc?

• edited May 6
    @sma3 - I do not use YOC. I believe it to be a false metric. It's not the yield on the current valuation. However if you'd like to know what it is, it's 9.6% to go along with 59% CG's.

Edit to add: I should probably mention that the stocks I mentioned earlier are not the only ones I use/own which makes 5.8% possibly suspect. Others in that bucket include BDC's, MReit's, and equity income CEF's. I tend to rotate those (in, out or swap) based upon market conditions.

@Old_Joe - thanks but it was a lot of luck mostly. The picks could have tanked and cut their dividends anywhere along the way and still could. A recent case in point is LEG, a dividend aristocrat of merit who just hit a 52-wk low and cut their dividend by 89%. I owned it at one time but I don't remember why I sold it or traded it for some other investment.

There was a guy at M*, Josh Peters, back around 2007-9 who had a monthly dividend investor column. I learned a lot from him. He left for some fund company to run a mutual fund based on his acumen and possibly his popularity. I've no idea how that turned out.
  • edited May 6
    Warren Buffett started selling some of Berkshire's AAPL shares, and is putting the proceeds back into T-bills. Likes the >5% yield, and he can't find any good value in the current market.

He may be old and conservative, but he ain't dumb.
  • If I had Warren's expertise, portfolio and a position that was 50% of my portfolio I would do the same. I am so, so far away from that scenario I can only dream.
  • Buffet defies gravity ..
  • I remember Josh Peters, and mention of him sent me on a search. After leaving M* he went to Oppenheimer funds but that lasted only 19 months. After that he formed an advisory firm but now works for an outfit called Morgan Dempsey. Fair amount of moving around.
  • edited May 8
    The most important is the total performance and for many the risk-adjusted performance. I can generate an income very easily.
    Suppose you are at Fidelity and you have one million invested in FXAIX(SP500). You can set up in 2 minutes a monthly sell order, on a certain date, for $3K(or another amount) to go on for months-years until you stop it. You just created an income monthly stream.
    Basically, a fund that generates double the income of the SP500 but lags by 1% annually is still inferior. It is just a math exercise that the income crowd refuses to admit.

Income VS TR(total return) is one of the oldest discussions that have led the income crowd to miss a lot of performance since 2010.
    I'm not against income, I'm against people who go blindly after income.

==========

While a low expense ratio is desirable, there are plenty of exceptions.
    PRWCX in the last several decades.
    PIMIX from 2010 to 2018.
  • @FD1000...ya I see your point but you are leaving the risk equation out of the picture...the ole sequence of return risk.

Most will crap their shorts when the market draws down 30 to 40%

They'll never stay with and will bail out likely at the bottom

• edited May 9
    Is Clare Hart one of the best fund managers?
    Dunno but she recently received the 2024 US Morningstar Outstanding Portfolio Manager Award.

"Morningstar Manager Research analysts chose Hart from a list of three nominees who have run investment strategies that earn Morningstar Medalist Ratings of Gold or Silver on at least one vehicle or share class. They each had long, impressive track records, disciplined but adaptable philosophies and processes, and a proven record of putting investors’ interests first. Hart’s faithful and consistent application of a tried and true approach won the day, though."

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/morningstars-2024-us-morningstar-outstanding-portfolio-manager-award-winner

Portfolio Visualizer Backtest - OIEIX During Clare Hart's Tenure
    https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&sl=5CfKNvVlpd8TKApToYqYLi
  • @FD1000...ya I see your point but you are leaving the risk equation out of the picture...the ole sequence of return risk.

Most will crap their shorts when the market draws down 30 to 40%

They'll never stay with and will bail out likely at the bottom

I can always discuss bad behavior. Why a Div investor would hold and the SP500 would not? High Div isn't a guarantee for better performance or a lower risk.
    It's all a mindset until the 70s when healthy blue chips paid Div. Then came the tech revolution and these companies don't use it anymore while some believe it's still going on.