Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Your biggest assets are Social Security, Medicare

Comments

• While I don't think my SS will pay slip fees for a yacht of significant size, I've always counted it as part of the "bond portion" of my portfolio, even if it's not inheritable. Years ago I even read an article (reference forgotten a few years later) defending that POV and encouraging a greater portion of one's investments in stocks. Haven't seen that suggested lately. Even the "political risk" threat to SS so far is sparing those near retirement, so this POV could still be valid for the boomers.
  • edited April 2013
    New (to me anyway) & interesting POV: looking at (present discounted) average lifetime SS benefits as part of the portfolio. Think I'll try a side calculation on that. Thanks for the perspective, OJ and STB.
  • My husband, bless his heart, knows how to hire a good financial advisor. He never worries about these things no matter how much I may want him to. His investment strategy:

• Reply to @Anna: ROTFLMFAO...one of the best and funniest postings ever on FA or MFO.