Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stocks Hit All-Time Highs: S&P Breaks New Record Above 1,600, Dow Above 15,000

Comments

• Fed must be very happy - don't ya think?
  • edited May 2013
    And all those that have been invested in this market.

And all those now able to sell their homes again.

And all the newly hired employees.

And all the stakeholders in healthier than ever companies.

=)
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @Charles: That's what I meant. Fed has made everything better. Job well done. Maybe right wing will stop criticizing Bernanke. (Does anyone seriously think our other dysfunctional political institutions deserve credit? For what?)
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @Charles: I would give you thumbs up if these was such a function in the forum.

Though part of the reason for today's rally is that ECB cut interest rates. That should ease credit conditions a bit in Europe which is good for US companies that has significant sales/services to Europe.
  • Reply to @hank: I bet Bernanke would prefer that the Congress helped a bit in this recovery.
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @Investor: Thanks for mentioning the ECB rate cut.
  • edited May 2013
    Reply to @hank:

I know that you will remember from FundAlarm that I've been both praising and defending Benanke from the very beginning of his efforts to prevent the US economy from a reprise of 1930. I really believe that we owe an incredible debt of gratitude to this remarkable man, who, virtually without help from our wonderful congress, has managed to both rescue our economy and at the same time increase the transparency of the Fed to a degree previously unknown.

If ever there was the right man in the right place at the right time, it is Mr. Bernanke. Thank you, sir.
  • Reply to @hank: I don't think it has to be a binary in-out decision. If you feel that you need to enter, do it so over a time period.

It does not have to be all stocks. Pick a stock/bond allocation that you are comfortable with. I personally think neither stock, nor bond portion should go below 20%. So, pick something reasonable for your risk tolerance between 20% stocks and 80% stocks. I have mine close to 70% now. If stock funds bother you chose allocation type funds which hide the stock volatility internally and give manager flexibility to adjust as necessary. It does not have to be very complicated to have a successful strategy.
  • edited June 2013
    Reply to @Investor: Sorry Investor for any confusion. I was just speaking in generalities - not my personal experience.

(Edited for clarity)