Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Forecasts Are Not Analysis; They are opinion...Barry Ritholtz opinion

beebee
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
"Making a claim that some policy is wrong because of some vague danger at an unspecified date in the distant future is, well, bullshit."
forecasts-are-not-analysis-they-are-opinion/

Comments

• edited May 2013
    That is just a wonderful little article. I believe that it deserves reproduction here, with full credit to Mr. Ritholtz, of course:
    Making a claim that some policy is wrong because of some vague danger at an unspecified date in the distant future is, well, bullshit.

To the guys [who] have been warning about hyper-inflation, the collapse of the dollar, the impending market blow up, an interest rate spike, etc. — you have been wrong for 5 years now — are you going to just keep doubling down?

There does not seem to be a lot of method to your madness. How about some data-driven analyses instead of empty headed fear-mongering? I am not suggesting you have to be bullish on equities or any other asset class — but an intelligent thought process would be quite nice for a change.

Here is an idea — how about giving us some guidelines as to early signs that will show your thesis is starting to come true? Yield spreads widening, foreclosures, increasing, year over year earnings falling — maybe a little something that you can point to as a signpost on the road to your being eventually correct?

I keep seeing these empty headed comments that are the equivalent of “You’ll see someday.”

Come back when you have some empirical proof about being right about something for a change.
    Mr. Bernanke, having studied his history, had a pretty good idea of what wouldn't work, even if he was uncertain what might work. He decided to give what might work a shot. The man has a large set. We owe him plenty.
  • Ritholtz tells it like it is. I've got his "The Big Picture" bookmarked.
  • edited May 2013
    Ritholtz has it right here. And, as I suspect he already knows, "(Big) Money talks and Bull**** walks."