Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Uncle Ben's comments on Margin Debt and the Markets

beebee
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
From a guy who says bubbles don't exist...there sure seems to be something under the market waters:

Uncle Ben:
“In light of the current low interest-rate environment, we are watching particularly closely for instances of ‘reaching for yield’ and other forms of excessive risk-taking, which may affect asset prices and their relationships with fundamentals,” he said in his bland manner.

Related Margin Debt and the Markets:
margin-debt

WSJ Article: Investors Rediscover Margin Debt -
WSJ Article

Comments

• Ping Flack, do you have a take on the margin levels? I saw your comment earlier about margin helping drive the rise. But I don't have a reference on whether these levels are a sign of instability or not. Any thoughts?
  • Reply to @Charles: Hi Charles- first, let me congratulate you on the entire new level you have raised charting to on MFO. Your stuff is first-rate, and it's certainly appreciated.

A small operational note- the "ping" convention was used historically on FundAlarm, the predecessor site to MFO. There's absolutely no reason it can't be used here as well, to attract the attention of any specific poster. But to do that, it's going to have to be in the title bar of a thread, where it will be visually available to that poster.

Flack isn't going to see it here, unless he happens to open this post and come across it. There's two ways to make that work- either start a new post with "Ping Flack" in the title, or edit your title on this post- maybe add "-Ping Flack-" to the beginning or end of your title.

One word of caution: The MFO software doesn't like the word "ping" in a title (probably because that word is used for certain internet route trace operations). However a "modified ping", such as "P-I-N-G" (I believe that Investor recently used that) or "-PING-" will work just fine. I'm sure you get the idea... just add something to "ping" to slightly alter it's spelling to fake out the software.

Best regards-OJ
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Cool. Got it. I figured as much, so I emailed Flack as well. Hopefully, he (and others) will chime in. Thanks Joe!