Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investment advice

edited May 2013 in Fund Discussions
All, I had found this site a long time ago and have been deriving good advice from it ever since. Am requesting advisement on investment opportunities for my 401k. Currently, I have many large cap funds and would like to pare them down some. My choices were driven either by investment firm managers I was following, or by lucrative dividends and income potential, or by my affinity for new funds. Some funds I have had for years; others, not very long. Some I maintain a toe hold in; others carry a more significant balance. In short, I need advice on how to consolidate across the board so that my portfolio becomes more focused. (My 401k is a Fidelity Brokerage Account.) All comments, please. Thank you in advance for your help. My current holdings are: AVEDX, BUFDX, CHDEX, DGAGX, EPCNX, FSDIX, GABAX, GABEX, GEVSX, LCEIX, MDFSX, PRBLX, SDVSX, SOPAX, STRAX, TOCQX, YAFFX.

Comments

• Some general comments on your motley collection of large cap funds:

1. In many of your funds, the paltry dividend they offer is offset by their higher-than-average expense ratios. Makes no sense to me.

2. Many of these funds are too new for me to consider owning. Specifically, without knowing how a fund will perform in a bear market, e.g., 2007 through March 2009, I cannot own it.

3. Your have overlooked the forest (overall performance and total return) for the dividend tree. Several of your funds are dogs which have greatly underperformed.

4. Several of your funds suffered steep declines e.g., FSDIX -41%, GABAX -37%, etc., during the bear market year of 2008. What good is a 1.5% dividend if it takes your fund 4 to 5 years to recover from a steep drawdown during a bear market?

All that said, I believe the best of the funds you have listed are: AVEDX, PRBLX, and YAFFX. Frankly, you can toss the rest of them and consolidate them into these three funds.

Ironically, you do NOT own three of the best large cap funds available, funds which sustained modest losses in 2008, give excellent performance in bull markets, and have provided stellar returns for over a decade. If you feel the need to own more than three mutual funds, I would consider:

AMANX: Amana Income
    BPAVX: Robeco Boston Partners All-Cap
    MVPFX: Marathon Value

My overriding point: think more about total return over a long period of time, one which encompasses a bear market, and less about paltry dividends of 1% to 1.5% in your mutual funds.
  • Its not clear what funds you have in your 401k other than large cap.I assume you hold international small cap and bonds but if not than much of your consolidation should be into those types of funds.Holding so many large cap funds suggests the possibility that you have effectively purchased an index fund even though you are paying higher fees. I confess I have had that problem in the past but I had an excuse. Basically the funds were in taxable accounts so sales would generate tax issues.In a 401k that is not an issue.Since you are with Fidelity . I suggest consolidating to the Spartan 500 index fund plus one or two funds that tilt in a direction that you think appropriate. For example taking one of the funds I know well GABAX. That fund strongly overweights media and related sectors, is more midcap than the index and leans more toward value than growth . If you think those characteristics make this fund particularly a good place to invest than keep it if not it goes into the index.

One thing you might do is look at morningstar for the top 25 stocks in each fund. That might help you decide how to consolidate.
  • "In short, I need advice on how to consolidate across the board so that my portfolio becomes more focused."

Oh I'd say your portfolio is very focused now. Focused on just one investment type. Has it been your choice not to have a diversified portfolio, or have you just fallen into non-diversification while chasing dividends?

In any case, I'll suggest the obvious. I would suggest you pare down the Lcap holdings to maybe 2 or 3 and pick up some small cap and International/emerging market exposure - and bonds, Maybe a couple good total return or multisector bond funds and have some Int/EM bond exposure. PIMIX, OSTIX, LSBDX, MWTRX, HRBDX, FGBRX are some bond suggestions. If you want a fund that focuses on dividend return using a diversified allocation, not just stocks, I would suggest PGDPX.

You actually have a few pretty good LC funds. YAFFX and PRBLX are a couple of my favorites. If you chose either or both of those funds, I might diversify your Lcap further with a growth fund like POGRX. Plenty of good small caps to choose from. You can start your search by looking here at MFO at David's lists. I recently added GPGOX after hearing about it here.

I don't know your age, risk tolerance or investing style, so just the general diversification observation is all I can give.
  • Yes, I'll try to be brief. You truly ought to diversify. Keep the LC funds the others have recommended. Just two or three. Add small cap. Like PRSVX or MSCFX. (Small-cap is on fire lately. The whole market, you should already know, has been in the midst of a huge run-up over the past several months.)

EM bonds: FNMIX or PREMX
    International: MACSX, MAPIX , SFGIX. (The first two are all Asia. SFGIX is run by a Manager who did very well for Matthews, but left to start his own shop: Andrew Foster.)
    Domestic bonds: DLTNX, MWTRX, MWHYX.

I want to recommend MAPOX, too. It is balanced, holding both equities and bonds. The bonds will hold it back from ever blazing a trail at the head of the pack, but the bonds will help to moderate losses during downdrafts.

Here's what I own, and I am heavily overweight in International/Global, not enough in the domestic area:
    DLFNX (dom. bond, pays monthly)
    MAPOX (balanced, pays quarterly)
    MSCFX (small-cap, pays at year-end)
    MAPIX (Asia, pays quarterly)
    MACSX (Asia ex-Japan, pays June/December)
    MAINX (Asia bonds, pays quarterly)
    SFGIX (Global, still mostly Asia, pays June/December.)
    TRAMX (Africa/Middle East, pays year-end)
    PREMX (Emerg. Mkt. bonds, pays monthly.)

My next move will be to add another domestic equity fund, soon. i need to reinvest a bond maturing on July 1st. ... I have been in here gathering opinions, suggestions. Parnassus Equity PRBLX has been mentioned, as well as YACKX. I feel like I will be holding too many funds, but along the way, circumstances don't always unfold neatly and on time. My holdings amount to something over 6 figures, barely. Don't diversify so much that you end-up just diluting the profits you COULD have had. OK, "break a leg."
  • Thanx to all of you for your time and help as I am fast forging a path toward retirement. That's the goal. Oracl, well said. Some things need to go, and I will look at your 3 choices for sure. The journey is long, and I need to do better.

Jerry, on the company side of my 401k, I have my three (3) largest holdings: Vanguard's VINIX (S&P 500), VIEIX (Mid CAP), VIDMX (Developed Markets Index). As far as internationals, FGILX, MACSX, MAPIX, PTHDX and SGIDX round out the mix.

Sorry, Mike, it's just too much to put down at first----my bad. As far bonds, I have none right now having sold them on advice from CNBC and others. Also have small and mid: APPLX, CHTTX, FSCRX, FSSPX, RYDVX, STDIX, UMBMX, WASIX.

So, Max, this is it for my current portfolio. I am going to check out your funds. Also, thank you to all again. I know I need bonds. I expect to hear a lot of guff for this, and I understand. Have started this brokerage journey in 2009, so it's relatively new to me. That's why I need help. Thanx.