Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

News Articles and Commentary of Financial Interest- 6/6/13

edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
Note: Rather than take up acres of Discussion real-estate, I'm consolodating all of this stuff in one post. If I run across more stuff, I'll just add it here. NO, I am NOT Ted in drag!

United States:

U.S. retailers' sales rise in May, spending stays moderate
Link to Reuters Article

The Problem Isn't Madoff, It's You
Link to Forbes Article

Mortgage rates climb for fifth week: Freddie Mac
Link to "Market Watch" Article

Mortgage lenders make flood insurance mandatory
Link to "Market Watch" Article

International:

Nikkei slumps 1.7 percent into bear country as yen firms
Link to Reuters Article

China likely to tolerate 7 percent growth before hitting stimulus button
Link to Reuters Article

Europe’s banking union- Till default do us part
Link to "The Economist" Article

EU benchmark reform plan threatens oil price reporting
Link to Reuters Article

ARE investors falling out of love with emerging markets?
Link to "The Economist" Article

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Also ; Where do you fit in a $$$540,000 household ave? http://news.yahoo.com/us-regains-wealth-recession-not-equally-162738594.html?pt=Array
  • Reply to @TSP_Transfer: Great! Thanks for the add! Maybe we can evolve sort of a central place for this sort of general news and info.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Hopefully Ted will return.We are all poorer without his adept ability to ferret out pertinent links to enhance this site.But he did take up a considerable amount of space by not condencing said links under one headline or banner.I would hope that anyone of us whom posts a link would introduce that link with a brief one or two sentence lead-in as to how the link may be pertinent or topical to the main objective of the site ,which I believe is to help everyone involved become a more informed and better prepared investor.I will always try to keep my observations lighthearted with a bit of tongue and cheek insight.I will also be a bit (lot) cynical,especially when it comes to politicians (of any stripe,they're all crooks) or Wall Street vs Main Street.
  • Reply to @TSP_Transfer: Hey mon- I'm with you.
  • I really like your format Joe. I generally don't read 90% of the articles posted here because they tend to be scattered and haphazard. But I'm guessing this took you some time to put together. Tough commitment to do every day.

Nice work.
  • "Mortgage rates climb for fifth week: Freddie Mac"
    mortgage rates derive their value from the 10 yr treasury, with a bit of a delay. you can see the reaction to the dramatic move in some of our fixed income funds holding mortgage backed bonds. even reliable PIMIX/PONDX has been shedding its value. jr
  • @ OJ: thanks for this format - makes news 'choosible and readable' (English majors, pls don't look)
  • Yikes! Loads of work here. Thanks for the contribution OJ.