Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Recommendation for Outdoor Gas Grill Purchase

edited June 2011 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Hi Maurice.

Can't help with the grill question; as we are not users at this house.
    AND, I am not going to operate the "flag" button....so, you are safe with this house.

Your gracious input at FA and here surely allow you credit for an OT of the OT's, eh?:)

Take care,
    Catch
  • edited June 2011
    Hi Maurice- hey, if there's a public library nearby, you might check out some recent issues of Consumer Reports. They have done a number of articles on those. If you find that you can't get that info,let me know and maybe I can browse some back issues for you. The May issue just happens to be sitting right here in front of my monitor, as I am interested in a new lawnmower.

I don't use a gas grill myself (prefer the taste of the charcoal) but here's a short excerpt from that May issue. Generally speaking, they look for "a sturdy grill that cooks evenly, and allows you to go from high-powered searing to low temperature grilling across all burners, and will deliver years of service. Coated cast-iron or stainless steel grates help keep heat levels constant, while electronic igniters are easy to fire up".

Bad news: the lowest prices are in the $200 to $300 range for their recommended picks. Hope this helps some.

Since we now have an officially endorsed "OT" miniforum, I personally see no reason why someone shouldn't be able to ask for help on virtually any subject under the sun. Let her rip, I say, and see how things go. If it starts to get unworkable, then maybe some more rules.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2011
    Maurice- should have mentioned... the Char-Broil Commercial Series (Lowe's item 212564) is among the top rated in this article, which is really just a short recap of more extensive information previously published. This May issue had an overview article of "Home & Garden" items, and the gas grills were just a short section in that. Checking the index in the back, I see that the last major articles on gas grills were contained in the June 10 and July 10 issues, so that must have been last year.

Good hunting! (I just lugged home six large bags of Kingsford from Costco.)

OJ
  • Maurice, I nearly flagged you but than I thought: Well! You can buy gas grills and accessories at Amazon and support MFO, so they must be allowed here.

We got one from Amazon a few years ago, but my husband cut his hand, swore a lot, and drank almost a case of beer putting it together. So, I recommend you purchase one already assembled locally and than buy the accessories from Amazon.

You might enjoy one of their outdoor cookbooks:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=gas+grills+cooking&x=-286&y=-4
  • I don't think it is worth to pay too much for a grill, especially if this is a wheeled type movable type. I think a grill in the range of $100-200 will give many years of service. They are not that different from one another. If it goes bad after a couple of years, you can evaluate to buy replacement part (if you can find) or buy a new one.

I've bought my current grill pre-assembled. My previous came in a box as a kit (from now extinct manufacturer) and took 4-5 hours to assemble. I used that one about 7 years. My current one is 4 years old. BTW, I need to buy a new cover (which I can use Amazon).

One of the first thing to go in grills is the lighter. It stopped working on this one in less than a year. We simply use an external grill lighter.

Look for burners that are extending across the grill. My grill has a tent like covers hat some distance from the burner to prevent drips clogging the burner.
  • i did go for the more expensive weber version with a good cover a few years back, but my husband uses it year round (except for extreme snow). i totally agree with you waiting for august discount -- i bought ours @ 30% off. However, it was the last one available, so watch the desired inventory as you wait for discounts.
  • HI Maurice. Them portables nice too. Got the Webber with cast iron grill. 3-4 years and no probs. Use it 90% time. Plenty room for 2 of us. Takes small propane canister and burns on high for hour or so. One nice thing is stores in the house out of weather and away from spiders as webs down in heatin element a frequent cause of burner failure. Lighter still workin good after all this time. Cost in the 60-75 buck range. They got same thing in electric for around 100 bucks. BTW, Puttin big ones together is a *&#&%(^. These portables pretty much fully assembled. A bit heavy with the cast grill. About the only drawback. Good luck shopping.
  • Hey Maurice,
    I have a Weber gas grill for the past 22 years... While it is durable and works well to entertain families and friends and the cleaning is a snap, it is a pain during relocation. I gave away several perfectly good propane tanks and have to buy them again elsewhere. If I would do this again, I would stick with smaller ones and save a few bucks.
  • For what interest it holds, I'm entirely comfortable with Maurice's question and the resulting thread. I'd be more concerned if it were an anonymous poster or someone I'd never seen before. That's just my scam/spam reaction. It seems to me that if a recognizable member of the community has a question that he or she thinks that other folks might be able to help with, there's a strong presumption that it's legitimate and should remain.

If folks have some other guidance to offer Chip or me, I'd be happy to receive it.

Working on the profile of a way cool fund now. More soon!

David
  • edited June 2011
    David, Thanks for your forbearance on this and so many other matters. Agree completely. Spam we don't want. But for MO and others who contribute so much on a regular basis, some slack is in order. Don't worry we'll over-run ya with this stuff as we're drawn to your fine site by a common interest in investing. Also, please rest assured my advice on gas grills is probably better informed - won't blow-up in your face the way my investment advice is likely to. (-: (-: