Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WGHIX WESTWOOD INCOME OPPORTUNITIES down in 2008 only 4.58%

edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions

This fund is a conservative allocation. What caught my eye is the minimal loss in 2008 and high rank in the category as seen below.

Performance WHGIX...
YTD 1 Mo 1 Yr 3 Yr * 5 Yr * 10 Yr *
Growth of 10,000 11,151 10,173 11,375 13,905 16,011 —
Fund 11.51 1.73 13.75 11.61 9.87 —
+/- Morningstar Moderate Target Risk 3.90 0.47 -0.47 0.58 3.17 —
+/- Category 8.18 1.46 6.04 3.90 4.25 —
% Rank in Cat 1 2 5 4 1 —
# of Funds in Cat 776 792 735 594 506 209

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Does look real good on downside, but requires 100k initial, and is "institutional only", at least at Schwab.

WWIAX is the investor "A" class fund- 5K to enter. Looks like same excellent performance in 08.

1.16% ER for WWIAX vs 0.91 for WHGIX;
    3.88% ytd return vs 9.45% for WHGIX; (!! WTF?)
    Most recent distribution: 4.41¢ vs 5.12¢

Looks like two different funds to me, but there you are.
  • edited July 2013
    What was it invested back then? For example, long treasury did very well at the time. Take past with a grain of salt. A lot of these past success stories will not pan out going forward. I am not talking specifically about this fund. I did not do research on this.
  • RE: WHGIX

Market Watch YTD 11.51% that is to 7/15/13 Market Watch %9.45 is as of 6/30/13

Fidelity available as WHGIX $5000 minimum and 0.88% ER No load
  • Reply to @Investor:

WHGIX only had 14% in common stocks entering 2008 as shown in the bar chart HERE.

This is a solid allocation fund which can move between CA and MA as market conditions dictate.

Kevin
  • Reply to @kevindow:

Here is the chart:

It looks like the manager has nicely steered the fund allocation so far. At the beginning of 2008 the fund had 39% fixed income which has increased to 51% during 2008. This saved the fund from large declines. Right now, the equity position is highest ever and bond position is low and even if it was higher the bonds are unlikely to save the day. So, the fund would likely to lose more today if market declines.
  • Hadn't heard of it, but any fund that charts better than Vanguard Wellesley Income over just about every time period ... which it does ... has to be pretty good.
  • Reply to @Investor: Yes, looks like a very well managed operation. It's true that they might lose more on a decline right now, but they're in the same boat as everyone else- other than stocks, nowhere else to go. Not a management lapse- just the nature of the beast.

Out of curiosity, where did you get that nice chart?
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: That chart is the chart that Kevin pointed in his post. The fund company provides it for investors.
  • Reply to @Investor: Sure enough. Hadn't followed that link. Thanks.
  • edited July 2013
    Fidelity's internal view of this fund.

Fidelity started a new format "x" new of months ago. Not that this data is different from M*; but the layout is different and I feel, easy on the eyes for a nice overview. Other data/info tabs are available at the top row. One may also entry any other ticker of their choice in the "search" box at the page top. If a fund is not available via Fido, a data page won't load.

Take care,
    Catch