Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hey! Something actually went UP today!

edited July 2013 in Fund Discussions
American Funds New Economy, ANEFX- only one of the 24 funds to actually go up, even if only by 0.06%. WAFMX and RPHYX managed to stay even. Percentage-wise, GASFX led the way down with a 1.31% drop.

Mixed bag on World and EM- worst is MAPIX, -1.07%, best is American Funds World Growth & Income (CWGIX), -0.04%.

and so it goes...

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Ha, so did not go so great today=).

I'll employ one of General Powell's rules: It ain't as bad as you think...it will look better in morning.

Especially given strong after hours earnings by QCOM, FB, V.

Still somewhat incredulous on today's outcome given home sale surge and strong earnings reported (eg., BA, F, NOC). Maybe Detroit has just spooked everybody. Or, maybe it's because William and Kate named their son George.
  • 24 funds? That's quite a collection you got going.
  • Reply to @hank: I'm a firm believer in "less is more" and "more is less".

And it works! The more I tinker the less I have!

:-)
  • ARTKX and RWGFX both up today. RWGFX is presumably due to Apple (which has been a drag on it all year); not sure about ARTKX but Europe generally had a good day.

On the flipside, ARIVX was down almost as much as the Russell 2000 index (despite being 60% in cash), and PAUIX is also continuing its dismal 2013 performance.

• Reply to @Old_Joe: Yep. I'll double down on that. My whole effort is designed to tinker less and leave her alone. Thanks for taking the gentle rub in stride. I've been there often before. Been consolidating a bit - down to 16 including the 2 cash accounts. Take care.
  • Europe and tech were both up pretty decently. Short junk didn't do too badly ... HYS down 0.12%, OSTIX flat.
  • edited July 2013
    Reply to @hank: Here's the whole bloody mess:

Following is the present portfolio percentage distribution, showing recent changes as noted
    by dates. Cash positions are not shown, but approximate portfolio distribution currently is:
    Equity Funds: 15% / Bond Funds: 5% / Cash: 80% • (May not equal 100% due to rounding error.)
    	    7/24/13		AF = American Funds		
    Change Since AC = American Century
    7/23/13 S: = Schwab Account

US Equity
    Fund PF % Change YTD Fund Name
    AF ANCFX 2.1% -0.45% 17.5% AF Fundamental Investors
    AC ACMVX 6.5% -0.7% 21% AC Midcap Value
    S: GABAX 5.1% -0.74% 19.7% S: Gabelli Asset
    S: GASFX 2.5% -1.31% 16.9% S: FBR Fund Advisors
    S: MFLDX 5.9% -0.23% 10.5% S: Marketfield
    S: BUFBX 0.5% -0.36% 11.3% S: Buffalo Flexible Income
    S: PRBLX 0.5% -0.6% 19.9% S: Parnassus Equity Income
    S: VVPSX 1% -0.44% 23.3% S: Vulcan Value Small Cap
    Total % 22% -0.6%

US Balanced
    AF ABALX 12.4% -0.43% 13% AF American Balanced Fund
    AC TWSMX 6.3% -0.27% 8.9% AC Strategic Allocation (Moderate)
    Total % 19% -0.4%

World & EM Equity
    AF SMCWX 19.6% -0.41% 16.3% AF Smallcap World Fund
    AF CWGIX 1.4% -0.04% 12.7% AF Capital World Growth & Income
    AF ANEFX 4.4% +0.06% 21.9% AF New Economy Fund
    S: MAPIX 4.8% -1.07% 9.5% S: Matthews Asia Dividend
    S: ARTGX 2.4% -0.07% 17.5% S: Artisan Global Value Investor
    S: SFGIX 4.3% -0.97% 0.5% S: Seafarer Overseas G & I
    S: WAFMX 2.8% 0 % 12.9% S: Wasatch Frontier Emerging
    Total % 40% -0.4%

US Bond Funds
    AF ABNDX 0.6% -0.39% -2.4% AF Bond Fund of America
    AF AIBAX 1.2% -0.23% -1.4% AF Intermediate Term Bond Fund
    AF AHITX 2.6% -0.26% 3.5% AF High Income Trust
    AC ABHIX 0.7% -0.31% 3.3% AC High Yield Bond Fund
    S: RPHYX 6.2% 0 % 1.7% S: Riverpark Short Term HY
    S: PONDX 5.7% -0.41% 1.8% S: PIMCO Income Fund (D)
    Total % 17% -0.2%

Non-US Bond Funds
    S: MAINX 0.5% -0.08% -1.9% S: Matthews Asia Strategic Income

Note: The portfolio percentages shown would be
    as a % of the present 20% Equity+Bond exposure.
    -
  • edited July 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Interesting. Sure looks like a plan to me. I used to have quite a bit at AC - Good outfit and liked some of their funds. However, much frustration as they began imposing loads. They let me remain load-free in the funds I already held, but effectively locked me out of many other fine funds. Voted with my feet.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: I think that sums up about everyone--the more one tinkers the less one has--it is human nature:).
  • edited July 2013
    Hey,

I had a couple of upward zingers yesterday myself and a few that held their on ... slicking out even ... but, I also had, and ... for the most part ... a good number that were negative.

And ... so it goes ... Looks like today is shaping up to be more of the same from yesterday ... red ... red ... and, even some more, red ... as currently the foreign markets I checked this morning are reporting down and our state side futures are showning a lot of red also. Looks like "cash" ... might be ... "King for the Day."

With this, I have provided a link that you might enjoy ... If you would like to view the colors for yourself.

http://finviz.com/futures.ashx

Enjoy your day ... the best you can ... Thinking of heading to the golf course for the Thursday afternoon scramble and then drive down to the coast, with the wife, for the weekend so I'll be most likely asbent form the board for the next few of days. Not taking the laptop with us ... and, no smart phones either. Plan to disconnect form the modern day communication world for a few days.

Skeeter
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Hi Joe. I like this report form. Is it your personnal spreadsheet or from a specific site?
  • Howdy Mike- it's an excerpt from a daily report section of my spreadsheet, preformatted on the spreadsheet so as to look decent on MFO when copied & pasted. That report section also includes columns showing the actual dollar amounts involved as well, but as you know we generally don't post that sort of data here.
  • edited July 2013
    FPA Crescent (FPACX), my largest holding, was up and has been quietly splendid this year. Likewise FPA International Value (FPIVX), about which we've written a fair amount.

Curiously, FPA Perennial (FPRAX) and Source Capital (SOR), it's closed-end clone, were down .59% at NAV but SOR's market price was up on the day by 0.64%.

For what that's worth,

David