Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Scottrade alert re: Epsilon Email Data Breach

edited April 2011 in Off-Topic
Cee has posted important information regarding the recent Epsilon Email Data Breach over on the FA site. (It appears that she may be reluctant for some reason to join us here.) Wouldn't hurt to review it, and I suggest that you read her link as well: http://66.223.18.76/wwwboard/messages/310719.html

While you're there, tell her to get her tail over here!

OJ

Comments

• According to the reports I've read, the data breach is contained to name and email addresses. I would be careful of phishing emails from now on. It is a big breech but sensitive information is not breached this time.

I got a notification from Walgreens notifying me that my work email was among the breached emails. Thankfully, we are behind a heavy duty spam filter at work.
  • ot
    hi investor
    what 'firewall' and malicious avoidance programs do you use/recommend in your private home
    we use free stuff from avast and malwarebytes but we don't know if this is enough
    we may need a more powerful computer because our 3 years old is too slow now
    thanks for any suggestions
  • OK - Chase bank is also affected. I just got an e-mail from them. Careful out there, mfobservers!
  • so is marriott. Looks like everyone is outsourcing to the same vendor nowadays.
  • If you have not seen; and if you have, you should watch again...The movie, Sneakers. We all know there are many very sharp thinkers out there in our world of data. I am still awaiting a reply to my ad for a sharp thinking young person to take an adventure into the world of investing algos.:):):)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakers_(film)

Ya'll take care,
    catch
  • John, I have my personal computers behind a hardware firewall/router.

I have McAfee Total Protection installed on my PCs and I think Malwarebytes is a good complement but I do not use that often.

Thunderbird email software and SpamAssasin at my web/mail host is keeping the spam manageable.

I apply all OS security updates automatically. I've seen too many PCs not updated properly.

Other than that, most vulnerabilities are due to social engineering attacks and if you are careful you do not get phished and provide your own sensitive information to criminals. You have to be vigilant for these fake emails.