Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AIG - I Do Believe In Ghosts...

edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
From Seeking Alpha this morning:
AIG to resume dividend payments; net profit rises. AIG (AIG) has declared its first dividend since the depths of the financial crisis and its $182B government bailout in a move that indicates the strength of the insurer's turnaround. AIG will pay $0.10 a share, while its board has also authorized a $1B stock buyback. The dividend announcement came after AIG's net profit rose to $2.73B in Q2 from $2.33B a year earlier, while EPS of $1.12 beat by $0.26. Shares were +6% pre-market.
Chalk-up another one to Mr. Berkowitz.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Aided and abetted by Mr. Bernanke & Co.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Thank you.
  • edited August 2013
    Fair enough.

But would you really wanted to have had another Lehman?

Suspect that letting AIG fail would have been much, much worse than letting Lehman fail...and Lehman was pretty bad.
  • Reply to @Charles: Not at all- you should know me better than that by now... just spreading the credit around where it's due...
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Charles: Berkowitz has been successful effectively participating in a number of bailed out financial institutions (and one retailer whose chairperson/CEO/whatever he is now continues to try to bail it out.) That's great and good for him and good for Fairholme shareholders.

I do find it amusing that he is suing the government over Fannie/Freddie preferred. What happened: did the government decide it was going to act in its best interests?(which, in this particular case, was not in the interest of Fairholme and the other funds suing.)

Banks and financial institutions have failed throughout history. It's been bad, but hey, the sun continued to come up. Unfortunately, it's reality at times throughout history, but there's far less political and public tolerance now of system clearing than I think there probably used to be decades ago (and probably less tolerance now than there was a few years ago, even.) The endless discussions over whether or not letting the system clear vs propping everything up have been gone over quite a bit.

That said, okay, we bail out AIG and everyone else. Now what: too big to fail has gotten worse and we have financial institutions that still continue to rip off the populace - power price manipulation (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324809004578636401949683338.html), etc - and they are given a slap on the wrist because they would throw a tantrum and play the armageddon card if they were ever really gone after (and given the lobbying, no chance of that really happening.)

A couple of other minor issues: Berkowitz has acted like he and Fairholme shareholders "rode to the rescue" of AIG and other institutions. Lets be honest and not act all high and mighty: Fairholme bet on bailouts and it worked (for shareholders who had the patience, at least.)

The other issue that still makes me nuts is his praise of Lampert. Lampert may be a tremendous investor, but praising him up and down for running a retailer already becoming irrelevant further into the ground is ridiculous. Sears is apparently not getting interest in stores from other retailers and has started to turn stores into "disaster recovery centers" and data centers. I would love to see a '60's-era K-Mart turned into an adequate data center.

If one wants a retailer who hasn't done well and who owns an s-ton of land and has a business that's actually doing okay, look at Tesco (which Buffett bought when Tesco had a considerable downturn a year or so ago. Meanwhile, Tesco still pays a nearly 4% yield in the meantime. Tesco: Europe's Biggest Property Company (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/migrationtemp/2807681/Tesco-Europes-biggest-property-company.html) Tesco in London has a market cap of about $29B and change. The value of their underlying property in Europe and elsewhere is likely North of that.

Again, I'm glad for you and other Fairholmers, but one, as Joe said - lets call these investments what they are/give credit and two, I still think Berkowitz should have GTFO of Sears a couple of years ago.

• edited August 2013
    All good comments. Tough discussion.

I found this 2009 post on Seeking Alpha pretty informative and amusing. It starts off with definition of AIG - Arrogance, Incompetence, and Greed.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/127611-a-handy-glossary-for-todays-economic-crisis
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Yes, but should we still laud Berkowitz. I mean the notion is Berkowitz somehow knew and/or deduced AIG would not be allowed to fail. When there were other smart people who realized all the bad chickens would come to roost at AIG since they ultimately underwrote all risk exposure, the stayed away from AIG. However Berkowitz figured all had gone to hell in a handbasket to a degree, government would not only bail AIG out, it would do it without taking over AIG.

You can argue wrong / right kind of smartness. CAnnot argue results. However, the question to ask today is will AIG continue to be half of FAIRX portfolio or not. Will he trim? Who will buy his shares? Will it bring down AIG price? Will he have time to sell before bear market hits? Time will tell.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @VintageFreak: Hard to say. Back in the 70's, I had bought some IBM. Now remember, IBM was pretty big then, and quite a different business than it is now. True to the curse which was laid upon me centuries ago, IBM over the next few months of course tanked. I sort of figured (although the term hadn't been invented yet) "too big to fail... what the hell is going to replace IBM... a return to manual accounting?"

You get the idea- I doubled down and some months later wound up doing just fine, thanks. Brilliant insight? I doubt it. Just looking at the situation and playing the odds. I imagine Berkowitz pretty much did the same.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: In 2009, not too long before Berkowitz piled into financials:

"He applied strict value criteria when he assessed stocks, and he adhered to the simple (but wise) rule of not investing in anything he couldn't understand. So Berkowitz was never tempted by the likes of AIG, Bear Stearns or Lehman Brothers, no matter how cheap their stocks had seemingly become.

A lot of well-known value investors fell on their faces the past year or two. Why did Fairholme hold up as well as it did?

"Maybe it's because I don't invest in things I can't understand....Or take American International Group. If you looked at an AIG annual report six or seven years ago, you saw one paragraph on derivatives. You look at an AIG annual report today and you see 15 pages on derivatives. I don't think company insiders fully understand what's going on, let alone outsiders. So if I don't understand something, I've learned to walk away."

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/investing/T041-C000-S002-a-bargain-hunter-stands-tall.html?page=1

So did he suddenly gain understanding to companies that by his own admittance had/have become tremendously complex entities in a fairly short period of time, believe that the companies were going to be bailed out, or a little of both?
  • I don't think company insiders fully understand what's going on, let alone outsiders.

Well he nailed that one, for sure. As to what he was thinking, or why and (especially) how, you'd have to ask him. But he might just take the fifth, and I don't mean Scotch, either...
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: You have to admit this is a little different. I mean look at his committment to AIG. This is not Nygren's Washington Mutual here. If AIG had gone bankrupt, Berkowitz might have suffered worse than Bill Miller.

Nygren recovered from Washington Mutual. Berkowitz if same thing had happened to AIG would not have IMHO.