Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Question re Great Owl interpretation

edited August 2013 in Off-Topic
I've been horsing around with the Excel version of the database, and along the way I happened to take a look at Vulcan Value Partners Small Cap, VVPSX. It shows a reasonable Ulcer Index of 5.9, but as a "5" for risk (Very Aggressive) with also a "5" for return, (Pretty Crummy). That could reasonably also be expressed as "High Risk/Low Return".

Yet M* data, via Schwab, says 5*/Low Risk/High Return. I'd bet that I'm looking at something the wrong way here, but not sure what. Also, what is actual meaning of the "APR" column? (Annual Percentage Rate doesn't seem to make much sense in this context.)

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Ha! Welcome to my world Joe.

Here's customized version for you of these two funds VVPSX and VVPLX.

Note that I added the SP500 numbers for the same three year period.

The "risk" rating looks at the three volatility indices (standard, downside, and drawdown) and compares against the corresponding levels for SP500. If any are greater than those of SP500 by more than 25%, the fund is flagged as "Very Aggressive," since by definition SP500 is "Aggressive."

It's that simple. I'd say that our risk rating is very sensitive. Note also that it is relative to market, not to category, like M* does. So, while a fund like VGENX may be low risk compared to other energy/natural resource funds, probably not the case in the MFO system. Or, more recently, bond and all asset funds, which probably rank "low risk" on other systems, are getting an elevated risk rating, at least temporarily, on the MFO system. Our return rank is within category, but not our risk rank.

Hmm, the APRs look fine to me. APR stands for Annualized Return Percentage (or Compounded Annual Growth Rate CAGR). I added a column for Total Return. I think that if the fund delivered APR for three years, it would result in total level. Which is quite attractive for these two funds...and the SP500 for that matter.

Please let me know if all this makes sense.

Very much appreciate the feedback.

Charles
  • Yessir, it does, and I really thank you for taking the time on all of this. I notice that some thirty or so other folks seem to have viewed my post, and yet none of them commented. That could suggest at least a couple of possibilities-

• I'm a complete dummy, and they felt it not worth their time to offer any insight-
    • They didn't know the answers either.

Note that the two possibilities I've mentioned are not necessarily mutually exclusive. But it does give some thought as to maybe in your final product you might consider a column-by column breakdown so as to make it possible for your main body of work to be utilized by as many viewers as possible.

I particularly like your risk rating methodology as being sensitive to the overall S&P, rather than by category, as by combining the M* data with your dataset it provides a much broader picture.

If I can be of any assistance at all in user-testing or any other area be sure to let me know. In my former life I was pretty much the main guy for documentation of San Francisco's 911/Public Safety communications systems, and I really understand the immense value of feedback when you are constructing stuff.

Thanks again!
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Cool. Chip recently posted Rating System Definitions, which provides column by column explanation. Would appreciate you taking a critical look at the definition page...let us know how you think it might be improved. Thanks Joe, as always.
  • edited August 2013
    I had missed that- it looks just fine the way it is. If I can understand it, anybody surely can, as I certainly not in any way a financial wizard.

Looking good!

As we used to say, when all else fails, read the (insert bad word here) manual!
  • edited August 2013
    @Old_Joe Nope on the first possibility, yes on the second. Put a starter position in VVPSX a month ago. Hasn't performed as well as I'd liked so far, but it is only one month and will give it some time.

Very cool and nice to know there is another Bay Area resident on this board. I live in the East Bay, was working as a temp in SF up until a few months ago. BART sure is something else, huh?

@Charles Your work is excellent and very much appreciated. Definitions look fine to me. Also available if you need help; not that great at statistics and math, but am a stickler for details.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @TonyGstring: Thanks, but your confidence with respect to the first possibility may be unwarranted. Yes, it's going to be very interesting to see how the BART situation plays out.

Same for VVPSX- I've got a bit of that animal also. The main perspective that I get from combining the M* info with Charles' construct is that within it's class VVPSX may be a good performer, but as compared to the S&P overall perhaps it's not worth the trouble. We shall see...
  • edited August 2013
    5 for return group is not crummy. It means best of its class. It is in top 20%. You are reading it wrong.:(

I have VVPSX. 1-3 mo result is so so. I still like it though. Look for longer periods.
  • edited August 2013
    Well, now you're getting at the heart of my question! I wondered if I was doing something dopey, and I was. I think that sometimes I have a bit of dyslexia, and get things backwards. Thanks a lot, Investor... I hadn't picked up on that... the VVPSX data makes a lot more sense now. Risk is fine as long as there's a tradeoff. Roll dem dice!
  • Reply to @Old_Joe and Investor: Cool. Thanks guys.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Ha, I've read your posts, it's nice to see modesty which seems to be a rare commodity in the financial world;)

Ya, by the time I opened this account at Fido, I missed getting in on Chuck Myers' funds FCPVX & FSCRX and am still a bit ticked as I've yet to come across an open small-cap value fund I like as much as either of those two. SSSFX is good, fortunately got in right before it closed but that is in another account so still looking. SKSEX is intriguing, but don't know anything about the PM's. Thinking of going with MSCFX, hard to go wrong with Mairs & Power.

@Investor Yes, that's what I initially thought in regards to Joe's initial post but didn't have the balls to say. Good catch
  • Glad to see the helpful folks here help ya read:P Happens to the best of us, I'm super ADHD and miss a lot of the obvious.

Usually comes down to risk/reward and the role or goal of the fund in your portfolio. Sometimes I wonder why investors hold super conservative small cap funds like ARIVX for example (no offense to any shareholders), when they can just allocate a tiny percentage to something with some upside capture ratio or avoid the category all together instead of paying 1-1.5% in fees to a manager holding over 50% cash. Just my opinion..