Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So many good funds to choose from other than AQR.

Art
edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
I noticed there have been over 1300 hits on the AQR Risk Parity post. Amazing that so many are interested in a fund that I would bet few have.

Fidelity recently has offered many new funds NTF that were once load. If you are like me and do not want to pay a load or a TF this recent change is worth looking into. For instance Hotchkis and Wiley is now NTF along with many others.

One fund that is a possibility for research is (GOBAX) a world bond fund. Or maybe an International Currency fund such as (JCIAX) or (EAIIX).

The new fund that Kathleen Gaffney ( Loomis Sayles Bond Fund ex manager) has started, (EVBAX) is NTF at Fidelity.

The point is lets uncover some gems and pass them on so we can make some money.

Art

Comments

• Someone (I think maybe David) made an observation a few days ago (I forget which topic it was) regarding NTF Funds. I had always looked for NTF also, being a cheapskate, but the point was made that you can bet an NTF fund will make up for it by a higher ER. The thing there, of course, is that a TF is only once, up front (might as well be a front-end load, albeit pretty small), whereas the ER is forever, year after year. Something to consider if you are trying to decide between similar funds, some TF and some NTF.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:

The funds I mentioned previously had a load. So it was more than just being NTF.

Art
  • Art, thanks for the note about GOBAX. Just spent 20 minutes looking into it, and it at least deserves a spot on the watchlist. Like you say, that A-class load-waived deal at Fido could be a game-changer.
  • You have to understand AQR is very high profile. Asness is celebrated Hedge Fund Manager. Even Consuelo Mack has interviewed him.

Asness worked before at Goldman Sachs, allegedly when they were not the giant vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity (quote describing GS by Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone).
  • edited August 2013
    Yeah, not fair Art to rub it in...it's my largest holding!

Ha! Correction. I just checked. FAAFX is now largest holding by slight margin. Was AQRIX, but then, we all know what happened...
  • edited August 2013
    "giant vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity"

Once many ages ago in a land far away (well, across the bay, anyway) three of us partnered in buying a small commercial property for rental income and real estate appreciation. At my suggestion, we named the fledgling entity "Octopus Enterprises".

Unfortunately we never got beyond that one building in San Jose, but as it happened that area in San Jose went on a tear and actually we all made pretty damned good money on the deal.