Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What funds are up for the day?

Art
edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
Of the funds on my watchlist I show these up for the day so far. Subject to change.

(JCIAX), (WBMRX), (PFBDX).

BTW I bought more EM today.(ODVYX)

Art

Comments

• No funds up, but COP and GLD up. OAKIX lost the least of my funds, does that count?
  • RRPIX up 1.56% Purely a bet on rising interest rates.
  • PCRIX and PSPFX for me; WAFMX is at 0%
  • Nice to see re WBMRX.
  • edited August 2013
    Clean sweep. Nothing up! Portfolio - 0.9% vs S&P -1.4%, so my volatility isn't too bad.
  • edited August 2013
    I had one up today, JCRAX, and a few that slicked out. With that, I was down 0.69% while my bogey the Lipper Balanced Index was down 0.88%.
  • All 3 of Hussman's funds were positive, proving once again that "even a broken clock is right twice a day".
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @scott: Yeah, I think Mr. Redleaf et al seem to have finger on market pulse lately. Shorting bonds and small caps played well today. Suspect their 3Q performance will look pretty good if things keep going way they are.

Also up today was HSTRX, BPLSX, PRPFX, some of which I will attribute to gold.
  • Usually the unloved sectors are the ones that benefit from days like yesterday, and there was no exception this time. Gold miners, commodities, bullion were the big gainers. Bonds in general gained or were flat or down a teeny bit, with the exception of long-term Treasuries. It's a good reminder of why a widely diversified portfolio is often still the least volatile way to go.
  • Nothing up for me. My 2 health care funds, PRHSX and RYOIX and my REIT fund, CSRSX were hit the worst.

One fund holding up quite well over the last week is ARIVX (versus it's small cap benchmark)... new I held it for a reason:) . Maybe the miners bet will finally pay off.
  • Reply to @MikeM: Since you mentioned "over the week" I took a look at that- since Monday, the S&P down 1.7%, and:

WAFMX: +0.33% (UP!! )
    RPHYX: - 0.1%
    ABHIX: -0.32%
    AHITX: -0.35%
    AIBAX: -0.37%
    MFLDX: -0.56%
    CWGIX: -0.69%
    MAPIX: -0.7%
    ARTGX: -0.7%
    BUFBX: -0.79%

and everything else was much worse, all the way down to GASFX, -2.28%

Since Monday: Portfolio - 1% overall.. not really too bad.

Note: For weekly comparisons I have to run my spreadsheet from Monday to Monday, as we are almost never here on Friday evenings to capture the Friday data. I suppose that I could set up a column to extrapolate the Friday closings from the Monday data, but haven't yet set that up.
  • All Hussman funds I own up yesterday : HSGFX, HSTRX, HSIEX. Not sure if anything else I own ended up.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak:
    VF,

What is it about the Hussman funds that you like?

Art

ytd 1yr 3yr 5yr
    HSGFX -3.36 -5.52 -7.22 -5.65
    HSTRX -7.88 -7.49 -0.51 2.48
    HSIEX 2.40 2.08 0.55
  • edited August 2013
    16th August, 2013---Friday:
    UP: TRAMX, MACSX, MAPIX, MSCFX.
    DOWN: PREMX, DLFNX, SFGIX, MAPOX.
    No Change: MAINX. (This fund is doing a very good job, I think, of not dropping so far and so fast as other bond funds through the current ongoing downtrend. In fact, there have lately been a great many days in this fund with NO CHANGE.)
    .......So, on the day: I was DOWN by -0.03%.
  • edited August 2013
    Hello,

For the day my portfolio was down 0.22%. In comparison the Lipper Balanced Index was down 0.20% and the widely followed S&P 500 Index was down 0.33%. I had three funds that were up, three that slicked out and a gaggle that were down.

For the week my portfolio finished the week down 1.17%. In comparison, the Lipper Balanced Index was down 1.37% and the widely followed S&P 500 Index was down 2.10%.

And ... so it goes.

• edited August 2013
    Reply to @Art: I bought those fund after learning M* went negative on them. That was my cue. Those returns you are showing, I haven't suffered them.

As to what I like about them. Nothing. I mean what's to like about that performance? However since I'm not a long time sufferer I am giving him rope. Everyone is right once in their life and When you is more important than what you buy, and his entire net worth is invested in his fund, and 60% of profits go to charity, etc. etc. etc.

The real test of Hussman will come when he is right. He will have to produce INVERSE results. I mean telling everyone for 5 years about Armageddon is ok. However when Armageddon hits and then he still is performing like the market, that's a problem. Since I am a recent entrant into his funds, I continue to DCA and willing to give him time.
  • CGMFX wasn't down much yesterday and was up today.
  • edited August 2013
    Friday 8/16

OBIOX
    FMIMX
    FLPSX
    MAPIX
    GPIOX
    GPGOX
  • FPIVX up .21% - MFLDX up .40% . I Just Purchased WBALX Today, And It Was Flat For The Day, Which I Consider A Positive Sign. To Purchase It I Sold JPVTX Which Was Down - .34% For The Day.