Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Fairholme Fund to reopen to new investors

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1096344/000091957413005233/d1406155_497.htm

FAIRHOLME FUNDS, INC.

The Fairholme Fund
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supplement dated August 15, 2013 to the Prospectus of The Fairholme Fund dated April 1, 2013 (the "Prospectus") and the Summary Prospectus of The Fairholme Fund dated April 1, 2013 (the "Summary Prospectus")

The Board of Directors of Fairholme Funds, Inc. has approved the re-opening of The Fairholme Fund (NASDAQ: FAIRX) to new investors. Effective August 19, 2013, The Fairholme Fund will offer its shares to new investors and begin accepting orders for the purchase of Fund shares from new investors.

The first four paragraphs under "Purchase and Sale of The Fairholme Fund Shares" in the summary section of the Prospectus and in the Summary Prospectus are deleted in their entirety and replaced with the following paragraph:

Purchases of shares of The Fairholme Fund are subject to the following minimum investment amounts (which may be waived by the Manager in its discretion):

The following paragraph is added as the second to last paragraph under "Purchase and Sale of The Fairholme Fund Shares" in the summary section of the Prospectus and in the Summary Prospectus:

The Fairholme Fund reserves the right to limit the sale of shares to new investors and existing shareholders at any time. The Fairholme Fund may reject any order to purchase shares, and may withdraw the offering of shares at any time to any or all investors.

Comments

• Me thinks:

1) Bruce probably has a target in mind to purchase shares of and he does not want to sell stock in other companies to fund it.
    2) Or, he thinks today's rout might continue and do not want to sell shares on stock for paying redeemed shares so opening the purchase so hoping that new fund purchases will be enough to pay out leaving shareholders.
  • Good grief.
  • Reply to @Investor: According to Morningstar, the fund had over 9% in cash at the end of May. Assuming that's roughly still the case, seems like it would be plenty for a new acquisition (there are only two holdings that take up more than 9% of the portfolio) or investor redemptions.
  • Reply to @claimui: 9% cash is on the low side for Berkowitz. Like many value investors (Buffett, etc.) he likes to have at least that much on hand. I think he sees opportunities, though they must be big ones since he's not reopening FAAFX. Anyway's Morningstar's data is from May 31. Maybe he's gone shopping since.
  • Since this is a family site, DANG IT! Bruce.
  • The RISK factor here scares me away. And my semi-porous ethical filters are allergic to some of uncle Bruce's biggest plays: Insurance, banksters. Nothing's perfect, and I'm sure the funds I own are "guilty," too. It's a matter of degree. They all own each other, and it's the only game in town. So, invest, or look forward to utter poverty in the days to come. That's all there is. Ironically, if you invest in the wrong stuff, you can get to poverty even quicker!
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock:

Max, Seriously "Risk factor scares me away". Your portfolio is scary to me. If I have your fund list correct none of your funds have beaten the S&P 500 using 3 year performance data.

While (FAIRX) had a bad 2011 its 3 year performance is right there with most of your other funds.

This high Beta fund (FAIRX) might be what your portfolio needs as most of your funds are a low beta except (MAPOX).

I will say it looks like there is a method to your madness in your portfolio and it seems to be working. Good for you.

Art
  • Reply to @Art: I was thinking the same thing:) Holding mainly EM/Asia stuff is as risky as it gets.
  • Yes, admittedly, my portf. and its weightings are not ideal. If I understand correctly, "beta" is a measure of volatility. I prefer low beta. Is that what you meant, Art? I look at M* and FAIRX shows up with HIGH risk. I just won't go there. Do I catch your drift?
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock:

Max

There is risk in any investment, even under the mattress, the risk of inflation. The trick is to get the reward to match the risk.

Look like you have the portfolio that you can sleep with. For now.

Art

Beta is calculated using regression analysis, and you can think of beta as the tendency of a security's returns to respond to swings in the market. A beta of 1 indicates that the security's price will move with the market. A beta of less than 1 means that the security will be less volatile than the market. A beta of greater than 1 indicates that the security's price will be more volatile than the market. For example, if a stock's beta is 1.2, it's theoretically 20% more volatile than the market.

Many utilities stocks have a beta of less than 1. Conversely, most high-tech, Nasdaq-based stocks have a beta of greater than 1, offering the possibility of a higher rate of return, but also posing more risk.

• I could not have explained it myself, but your description makes perfect sense. I follow you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Your "ramblings" are certainly worth reading. It seems to me that you are very much in touch with the truth of what I've said before: "Is investing an Art, or a Science?" The answer, of course, is: YES. ....But this comes from a non-professional who has been conscientiously learning from others here at MFO, and equipped with a sharp sense of intuition, rather than educated acumen.
  • Reply to @Maurice:
    The investing landscape is always changing. I never thought that our government would conspire to keep interest rates artificially so low and for so long. So I have failed in some ways, because I failed to fully adapt to this macro environment. Though I did stay invested in mostly bonds in my 401k account, until a couple months ago. While we try to learn from mistakes, those new learnings don't always apply in the future. Markets can be fixed, and Goldman Sachs is not about to share their wisdom with me.
    Hi Mo. The fact that the interest rates have kept low and prevented from going up is why you were able to keep your bonds. Otherwise, you would experience the losses so much more earlier.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Maurice: Well said Maurice. Great minds often act differently. As you said ... we don't invest to beat somebody else's index.

People have lots of different reasons for how they position their investments - not always apparent to others. (like: their sources of income, home & other tangible assets, savings & annuities, expected longevity, estate planning, tax & insurance considerations, spouse and family influences and their own past investment experiences - both favorable and unfavorable.)

I specifically recall the great Rukeyser mocking those who wouldn't get aboard the tech bandwagon in the 90s & early 2000s (as the bubble grew). Nothing short of investing morons in Lou's view. That's the only time I can ever recall the guy being wrong - but boy was he ever! ... NASDAQ 5,000 anybody?

Hell - had they accepted the conventional wisdom of their day, Orville & Wilbur probably would have spent the rest of their lives inventing the perfect bicycle:-)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: What you got against gangsters? ... oh, sorry... read that wrong....
  • Reply to @Maurice: Well said!
  • Likewise, I have (a healthy dose of) confidence in Bruce. He has an awful lot of skin in the game, too. As to why reopen FAIRX ($8b) and not FAAFX ($300m), beats me. Morningstar has FOCIX ($240m) with no equities, 7 bond holdings, and 56% cash.

He must be ready to dive (or already taken the plunge) into that preferred stock in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, even though Congress and the Treasury do not think investors like Berkowitz would prevail. It will be interesting to see how his latest thesis reveals itself.

I admire him for doing what he says he would do - "Ignore the crowd."
  • You can love Berkowitz or hate him. I admit, I think he makes a fool of himself fawning over Bartiromo now and again on CNBC. I invested with him when the fund tanked. Needless to say I didn't catch the bottom. However, now the fund has bounced, I'm willing to give him 10 years.

One thing you cannot argue about. He owns over 10 million of FAIRX shares. Not sure what the current NAV is. I think he owns north of $350M of the fund. I don't know anyone with that kind of gluttony for his own cooking. That doesn't mean no manager has that much money in a single fund. However, then, they would do everyone a favor by coming out with it. Does Gross own $500 M in PTTRX? I wonder...
  • Reply to @Maurice: Hi Mo. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us here. We all have different experience and risk tolerance in investing. Having said that I maybe even more conservative than you are, thus Berkowitz's FAIRX does not fit my investment universe. FPA Cresent, FPACX, would be my choice if I have to choose one fund. The other is I like is BRKB, although it is not a mutual fund.

This year bonds have not done well as many moved into cash. Ironically the high quality government and investment grade corporate performed poorly, while low quality junk bonds fared better. EM bonds performed even worse. Few active manged bond funds including those you mentioned did better. I also invested with Michael Hasenstab (particularly TRTRX) and Dan Fuss's LSBRX. The other bond I use is OSTIX. Earlier this year, I sold all PTTRX and PELBX, and slowly buying energy and European equity.