Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Going to be interesting today...

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
to see if it holds more or less where it's at, or drops off a cliff later in the day. Sometimes Fridays are weird.

Comments

• S&P 5c is hovering around the 50d ema & just above the sma. Levels ~ the 50d have been a floor & bounce level 4x since late last year. If there's a clear break down from here, we might have a change in the wind.
  • Two year high for 10 year Teasury (Seeking Alpha)
    10-year Treasury yield wants 3% • 1:24 PM

It's thin trading conditions, but the 10-year Treasury yield jumps 9 bps all of a sudden to 2.86%, touching a new 2-plus-year high. This despite weaker-than-expected consumer and housing data this morning.
    TLT -0.8%, TBT +1.7%.
    The move is taking a toll on stocks, where the S&P (SPY -0.4%) has slipped more than half a percent off the session high.
    The mortgage REITs (REM -1.7%), (MORT -1.5%), (MORL -3.5%) quickly react to the downside. Leading are: Armour (ARR -2.9%), CYS (CYS -4.2%), Javelin (JMI -3.5%), Hatteras (HTS -2.3%), (MFA -2.6%), Annaly (NLY -1.9%), American Capital (AGNC -1.8%), Dynex (DX -1.4%).
  • edited August 2013
    Interesting to see mkt selling off, bonds selling off and gold going higher. Interest rate movements continuing to surprise me, although they ramped today apparently after a Bill Gross tweet: "Gross: Pogo said, We have met the enemy & he is us. I say, All asset mkts peaking; W/o central bank ck writing we only have ourselves 2sell2"

I still don't get twitter. I want to read detailed thoughts from people I'm interested in. I don't want to have Bill Gross eventually tweeting, "Cntrl bnks end cntrl-p $$$, djia tlt frown Bernanke no moar lolz."

https://twitter.com/PIMCO
  • Too much short term thinking going on around here, IMO.
  • edited August 2013
    What was interesting is the 10 year Treasury at 2.83% - up from 1.39% in July 2012. Big losses for folks who've been long bonds during that period.

PRULX (T. Rowe Price Treasury-Long) was off over 12% YTD as of yesterday and close to 12% year-over-year.
  • Yes, but the pain doesn't matter TOO much if you're holding and using the bonds for monthly or quarterly income.
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: (-: I'll take that as a tease Max. Although would maybe agree with you for some bonds, like high yield & and EM. But with the higher-grade stuff, that ain't necessarily the case - due to the pitifully low yields.
  • Reply to @scott: What!? I can't understand him when he tries to speak English.
  • Hi, Hank.
    Agreeing with you. The lion's share of my bonds, it so happens, are in EM: PREMX. Less than 3% of total portfolio in DLFNX, with uncle Jeffrey. Still reinvesting all profits. Come to think of it, I own MAINX, too. It's been unremarkable, lately. That's a good thing, I think--- rather than to be falling in value quite a bit, like so many others---including PREMX. ...MAINX = 2.77% of total, here.