Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Please, not another summer of 1990

edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
Harry Browne once said "history is not a roadmap to the future. In fact, history is riddled more with surprise and change than repetition." I hope Harry is right because I wouldn't want to see a repeat of the summer of 1990 where Iraq invaded Kuwait. It was a sharp multi-month mini-bear market where the Dow lost around 21%. Then again, what came next was a truly spectacular 1991 for all the major averages.

How all this current war mongering in the Middle East plays out is anyone's guess. I'm off on a two month hiking vacation so good luck to all. After today, all I hold are two biotech stocks, LGND and NPSP.

Comments

• Louis Rukeyser (RIP) used to call people like me "bond ghouls" because we like bad news. In 1990, I was so happy to be in cash and see the markets tumbling. And the 1991-2 rally was one for the record books (until 2009 surpassed it).
  • The Syria conflict will pass eventually. That is one reason that a well balanced portfolio is good to have in time like this.