Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pimco: Media To Blame For Huge Bond Market Exodus

TedTed
edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
FYI: I don't think so !
Regards,
Ted
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100990790/print

Comments

• Says, "partly to blame." I would agree with that as media exacerbates the exodus.
  • edited August 2013
    That can be said (emphasizing "partly") about any mass movements in investing, whether it be bonds or EM.
  • That can be said (emphasizing "partly") about any mass movements. Stop.
  • edited August 2013
    This is quite lame. Did we ever hear about media as a catalyst for sending everyone into bonds over the years? When has the media NOT played a "large role" on the behavior of investors.

They need to talk about how THEIR funds have done relative to bond benchmarks. Period. As active managers, THAT is their job. Don't blame investor exodus. By that logic, investors quitting equity funds was solely responsible for last two bear markets. When someone is selling, someone is buying.
  • Maybe El-Erian and Gross should stop going on CNBC (I haven't seen Gross on it as much lately), given that it probably isn't as useful a promotion tool, given that ratings have now gotten so bad that ratings have gone back nearly to what they were when the channel first started.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-28/cnbc-core-viewership-drops-fresh-20-year-low-worst-nearly-inception
  • edited August 2013
    I think Scott has hit upon something. Manager starts blabbing too much on CNBC maybe a sign of misplaced priorities. Go on CNBC, see your fund tank. Same thing happened to Berkowitz not so long back. In fact I had reported it on FundAlarm.

Can anyone verify Berkowitz making rounds of CNBC these days? If he is, I think his fund also tanks along with the new normal and EE.

CNBC = Could Not Be Called.
  • edited August 2013
    Mark Travis Manager Of ICMBX Began Appearing On CNBC As a Regular Guest When His Fund Was a 5 Star Fund, Its Now Rated 3 Stars For The Last 3 Years. He Should Spend More Time Running The Fund And Less time On CNBC.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: Gross & El-Erian Have Been Talking Down The Stock & Bond Market On CNBC For Years Now - They Coined The Term New Normal (which means low returns in stocks & bonds) DUH!!!! Now They Are Surprised People Are Pulling Money Out Of Their Funds!!!
  • Reply to @ducrow: it might not be apparences but simple reversion to mean or end of lucky stretch for a lot of managers. The fact that they were 5* when they first appeared on TV is probably because CNBC will invite hot fund managers of the day unless the manager is already famous.
  • It is one of those things. I like my managers eating their own cooking. One can never ascertain whether that improves performance of fund, but I want it. I NEED it.

Similarly I NEED my managers to manage my money. Their job does not include them coming on CNBC, even just to pump their stocks, because I also want them to be honest. The problem is the media p***ing managers, making them celebrities, helping no one, especially because they create news out of nothing.

CNBC should consider screening infomercials in the afternoon like they do on weekends. It will help everyone, including maybe even CNBC helping them get some viewers back. They might get 20% off the SOAP Opera viewership.