Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Frontier Markets performing better than Emerging Markets

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
Frontier Markets performing better than Emerging Markets.
FM is up YTD 14% Frontier ETF
WAFMX is up 7.95% Non frontier. This appears to be one of the better EM

I puchased small amounts of these two funds but am having difficulty choosing non-frontier Emerging Markets funds.
I would appears that now is the time to get into a market that may be bottoming out.
I find it difficult to locate good emerging markets funds that will be the best performers.
I would appreciate some comments on non frontier EM funds and which funds members of the board have or are contemplating.
prinx

Comments

• Correction: WAFMX is a Frontier market fund.
    prinx
  • edited September 2013
    Non-frontier EM: The ones I will mention already get lots of attention here in MFO. That would be: SFGIX, MAPIX, MACSX. I own them all.

You're right about Frontier Market funds doing better over the past year. My TRAMX is still up 18.63%, despite the most recent mini-panic. Take a look at the new Matthews fund concentrating on less developed countries: MEASX.

http://matthewsasia.com/our-funds/f-24/matthews-emerging-asia-fund/overview.fs
  • Frontier Markets performing better than Emerging Markets

Well, I find that very encouraging, actually. I'd be surprised if most of the investors in Frontier markets were not a bit more knowledgeable than average. Makes them less likely to panic over EM generally, and thus does actually provide a bit of increasingly hard-to-find diversification. Am firm believer in keeping the eggs in as many different baskets as possible. Makes it just a tad harder for Murphy.
  • Hee hee. I like the way you put that, OJ.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: I do not believe that most Frontier market investors are any more wiser or more patient than EM investors. When the crisis hit there will be panic selling and Frontier being more illiquid it will be hit. If you can keep your head and invest when everyone is loosing theirs than you can be successful.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @Investor: Point well made, and taken. You also might want to take a look at my comment in the other current thread on this.

Thanks-