Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Another Lousy Start for Bonds

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
From Seeking Alpha COB Tuesday, first day back after good Labor Day holiday:

Comments

• TedTed
    edited September 2013
    Dear Charles: Yes, both PONCX & PBDCX my two bond funds were down today. The good news PRHSX was up 1.36%
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Right. My biggest bond position---PREMX--- was down today, as well as the much smaller holding, DLFNX. But my MAINX was up by .02 cents... I'm continuing to hold (and grow my share total) in PREMX in order to concentrate a meaningfully large monthly dividend from that source. Ever since I got into DLFNX, it's been sucking on sewage. But it's too soon to bail, and it's my only domestic bond fund. MAINX is due to pay me in mid-September again. And I just added to it, last week. With all the talk that THIS is the time to add to EM debt holdings, I guess I have ALREADY been sitting pretty--- I've been heavily overweight in PREMX since 2010, through up and downs.
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: MAINX? UP??? Must be a misprint... that one only goes down... hold on- let me check...

HOLEY MOLEY!!! I made $4.00 on that sucker today!
  • The only bond fund I have that didn't go down was FEHIX - it was unchanged.
    Makes you think, while we all know bonds will come back, don't know when, but loosing a penny or two etc. most ever day makes me think, why not just put it mostly in high yield junk bonds, not loosing?
  • How can Tuesday be Monday?
  • Reply to @Mindy: Quiet, smart---!

:-)
  • Reply to @Mindy and Old_Joe: Ha! I love you guys.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Mindy: It is Tuesday somewhere!
  • Reply to @Maurice: Yes, this year has been difficult for most bond funds. Treasury and TIPs are taking a beating with the tapering fear. Emerging market debts, USD or local currency have performed poorly. Few bright spots include junk bonds and floating rate bonds have held up better. Early this year I reduced my bond allocation and invested in a stable value instead.

Loomis Sayles bond, LSBDX/LSBRX and Templeton's TPINX and TGTRX held up better than their peers. If you reduce further in these bond funds, what will you invest instead? You may want to take a look at Osterweis Strategic Income, OSTIX.