Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Funds Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

2»

Comments

• Reply to @johnN:
    How liquid is such a purchase as this, if you had to sell this immediate?
    What are the buy and sell fees?
  • It was fun while it lasted but I think the bloom is off the high flyers in biotech ala ACAD, NPSP and others. But could be dead wrong. I am trying to transition into oil. Hold HAL, EOG, and looking to buy APC. Also hold ABC a real steady eddie as well as DEPO, LGND, and MYL. As for funds back heavy (over 50%) in junk bonds ala WHIYX. The 7%+ yield is nice and junk has held like a rock, actually climbed during the past month's chaos in the stock market.
  • Reply to @Junkster: Agree re: ABC.
  • A hold on all of my funds, neither adding to nor reducing, but I keep waiting for my GLD to go up, and I have been watching it sink since I got it. I did sell half about 4 months ago. It's in my Roth, so plenty of time, but have been so surprised by it not going up with all this political turmoil. It's only 2% of portfolio, but I hate looking at over 20% loss. Only other one I am pondering selling is BBBY. I keep raising the stop, and it has come close, but no cigar. Over 35% profit in it since last December, likely will sell it in the next 6 mnths, I have a wait and see attitude right now. I am fairly happy with all of my funds:)
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @catch22: hello sir, it's not too hard to sell, but the brokerage firm 'has to make a little $$' so if the purchse priced around 83 cents they may buy it from you form 77 cents or so and + 10 dollars fee/transactions. The select note trust is rated BBB+ so it's not hard to sell. Sometimes you buy junk bonds rated ccc or below and those are hard to sell. I am still stuck with TXU bond [company may default] been trying to sell this bond for the past few months but it's difficult since no one/bond desk wants to buy it. it's not too hard to sell in schwab account - I think all their bonds are very safe since all bonds > BBB rated [IMHO]. I am sort of buy/hold so has not sell much recently. zions direct bond may have lots of junk bonds and these are a little more difficult to sell. I think junskster has more experience in buying/selling these private securities and bonds. The select note trust you can buy 5k or 10k etc and got it from schwab....
    personally I think you make much more money since you only have to pay 10 bucks/transactions, no annual fees, and if you hold it until maturity you'll get all your cash back, and you get annual yield of > 7% for selected note trust