Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Charles Digs Up a Gem

MJG
edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
Hi Guys,

A few days ago, Ted, Charles, and the MFO gang had an informative exchange on Bull market history. Good stuff.

But even better was a Link that Charles referenced as part of the exchange. It is a Link to a 30 minute video built by super successful Hedge fund manager Ray Dalio. The video teaches how the economy works from a top tier perspective. It is not just good stuff, it is seriously accurate stuff. It is truly a gem in a small package.

Since the reference was buried within a MFO discussion, it likely did not get the wide audience that it merits. I decided to address that issue by reposting. Rather than Linking directly to the video, I have Linked to the internal MFO posting as an acknowledgement to Charles’ excellent find.

By the way, Charles also Linked to the extended book length paper authored by Mr. Dalio that was the basis for the video presentation. Here is the internal Link to both guides:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/7999/bull-market-corrections-2009-2013

Please use both of them. I will.

Charles, thank you so very much for these references and for your other countless contributions. You are a gem too.

Best Regards.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Charles certainly is a gem! That's one of the most straightforward and understandable perspectives on debt, credit and economies that I've ever seen or heard. I've downloaded the pdf, and will be working through it a few pages at a time.

By the way, this paper (even in the 30-minute video format) makes a great supplement to a book originally recommended to me by Investor: "The Power of Gold", by Peter L. Bernstein. That book will take you from the original concepts of economies, using trade and barter, right up until the modern financial era. Mr. Dalio's paper makes a remarkably well-fitting addendum to the book, taking us right up to the present moment in financial history and economic development.

For information on "The Power of Gold" (and an Amazon link) look above under Resources/Books (pg 2).

I missed the original post, and thank you very much for the reference.

Regards-
    OJ
  • Ha! You guys are great.

I too have always been impressed when people are able to distill important lessons down to just a few wise words, like Mr. Dalio does here. Most really accomplished people I know can do just that. If only I was one of them!=)

Charles
  • This video should be mandatory for all MFO Discussion Board members, posters and lurkers alike. It does over-simplify some things, but it is really well done.