Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Eaton Vance Bond - EVBAX

edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
I was curious if anyone had thoughts about this fairly new bond fund managed by Kathleen Gaffney, formerly of Loomis Sayles. It looks pretty intriguing - although volatile - in the multisector bond category.

Comments

• TedTed
    edited September 2013
    Dear willmatt72: "You go girl" ! She's beating the boys, Bill, Dan, & Jeff
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discussions-3/#/discussion/7992/qa-with-kathleen-gaffney-manager-eaton-vance-bond-fund-video
  • Very good performance thus far, although it does look pretty volatile.
  • I was curious what Bob C thought about this fund. I respect his opinion and enjoy his insight.
  • edited October 2013
    Hello willmatt72,

I have been studing this fund myself for purchase. From my thoughts, it will be much along the lines of NEFZX which is a multi-sector fund that Ms. Gaffney co-managed with the legendary Dan Fuss. With this, my thinking is that I should look elsewhere not because EVBAX will not be well managed but because it will mirror NEFZX. With this, I have been looking at TSIAX which is also a well run and performing multi-sector income fund run by Thormburg. If you decide that EVBAX is not for you then you might look at TSIAX.

Skeeter
  • Reply to @willmatt72:

Do you have access to this fund without the 4.75% front load? I have no concern with the manager ability, but with the front load.

Multi sector bond funds list

Ms. Gaffney's performance at this fund has been stellar, to date.
  • Reply to @catch22:

Yes, I do. Fidelity offers this fund with load waived. That's another reason why it is enticing.
  • Reply to @catch22: Catch, like Will said, Fido has a slew of A shares offered load-waived now, lots of funds from shops you've never had decent access to before. Get your shopping list together ... it's worth a long look!
  • WillMatt72 & AndyJ:

Yes, indeed. Our accounts are also at Fido. Have peeked through some various load waived funds as time allows.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @AndyJ:
    While these fund families are newly waived at Fidelity, several of them (such as Eaton Vance) have been load waived at other brokerages (Schwab for sure, and likely TD Ameritrade) for quite some time. It's good to see Fidelity catching up, though people have had no-load access to many of these funds for quite some time.
  • Reply to @msf: Right. Was speaking specifically of Fido, because Catch has his $ there, and apparently Will does too.
  • Yes, I try not to spread my funds out to too many places. I'm at Fido and Vanguard only. That's enough for me.