Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is there too much market complacency?

edited October 2013 in Fund Discussions
I think there is but then I always worry, even in the best of times. I mean until today the market has risen over 400+ points pricing in a resolution to the political nonsense. At Sentimentrader.com their short term sentiment indicator is in over optimism territory. Everyone seems to feels this will all get resolved (like it always has) so why worry, be happy. I keep wondering if we need some market rout to wake up the powers to be in Washington. Of course, even I must be optimistic (never a good sign) being that I am 70% in a junk bond fund and (after rolling over some of my other equity postions the past two days) about 12% in three stocks - HAL, ABC, and KOG. 12% might not sound like a lot but a market rout would be painful. And dumb me keeps buying on the rare down days.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I think ABC is a very interesting potential option for those looking for a long-term holding. Company provides a core/important service and one of only a few major players in its industry.

I find it rather odd how desperate the market appears to be to believe that there is no risk of default (or some degree of serious financial problem based around the inability to work out a deal.) Boehner came on earlier, said nothing at all specific/positive and the market ramped. We've had how many points in the last week or so added entirely on the HOPE of a deal?