Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Surgery

edited July 2011 in Off-Topic
Folks,

I had an ACL reconstruction surgery on my right knee this morning. I am feeling OK but a bit dizzy from the prescription painkiller as the nerve block wears off I will probably need more. I may be a little bit spotty in the next couple of day. I am thankful that I had insurance and able to afford to have it fixed.

Looks like market did not tank today...

Comments

• Best wishes for a speedy recovery, As they always say, don't make any important decisions for at least 24 hours!
  • Hi Investor,

Wishing you a speedy recovery ... and, I hope all goes well for you.

Skeeter
  • Hi Investor,

Don't get too restless. Be patient for a full recovery. Heck, its too hot in your part of town anyway; so, relax and stay inside.

Attempt to recall and write down any interesting investment ideas you may have with use of the pain meds. You just never know.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Best to you, Investor! Hope all turns out well with no problems! Take care...
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks to all. So far pain is very low, thanks to prescription pain meds. So far so good....

Catch: It is consistently between 100 and 110 this week in Austin according to forecast. Too hot and too dry indeed.
  • Don't take the meds unless you need them. I had ulnar nerve transposition and carpel tunnel surgery earlier this year. No pain but the cast was awful and what they billed was worse. Surgery was 40 minutes, 30 on elbow, 10 on wrist. $12,000. Glad I had medicare and medigap so it wasn't me personally that was getting ripped off.
  • edited July 2011
    Investor, hope the mending is going well. Have to say I underwent a less serious surgical proceedure in June. In pre-op there was another feller who insisted on watching Fox news with the volume blaring. Finally the surgeon & anesthetist came and put me out of the misery. (-:
  • edited July 2011
    I am walking with once crutch only today (assisting the right knee) instead of hopping with two and I am able to bend my knee pretty well. I've gone through one set of exercises pretty easily.

Pain is still very low but I am taking the medication as prescribed so far. Going to bathroom was a bit of an issue but it is solved with a bit of laxative:)
  • Reply to @hank:

Perhaps they should have put him out of misery and let you change the channel. Oh well...
  • Seein as how he was waiting for a colonoscopy, you could say he eventually got his just reward. (-:
  • I'm so glad your recovery is going reasonably well, Investor. Would hate to have you burdened with physical pain as well as dealing with economic troubles during these awful times. These type of things do make you appreciate the most simple joys of life, like walking easily. Take care of yourself and heal quickly. Cathy
  • edited July 2011
    Reply to @CathyG: Thank you Cathy for your kind words.
  • edited November 2011
  • edited July 2011
    Reply to @Accipiter: No way... as much as I would like to do so, I can't try any of those for at least another 6-12 months and will probably be careful afterwards. BTW, my injury is a result of skiing (or rather falling while skiing) not Taekwondo. Knee injuries are much more common in skiing.

First, I have to go through rehab and than will probably work out at gym to strengthen the muscles around the knee and leg in general.
  • Reply to @Investor: Reminds me of my neighbor who just had both knees redone because of excessive and overenthusiastic tennis (which he played to "keep in shape".

Let's see now... tennis, skiing, Taekwondo...

You know guys, as a firm believer in keeping my exercise limited to lawn mowing and avoiding all other unnecessary physical effort, I can report absolutely no injuries or operations, and the doc just told me that I might make it another 15 years if things keep on track. If you think I'm a curmudgeon now, just stay tuned.

Hmmmm.... I'm with Cathy... keep it simple, like easy walking! :-))
  • Reply to @Investor: Sounds like you have a partial torn ACL. Please be patient and you will recover fully through physical therapy program. You may want to consider swimming too.

As much as I love downhill skilling, these days I do a lot more cross-country skiing since it is much gentler on older bodies. Take care.