Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Changes

edited November 2013 in Fund Discussions
I "bit the bullet" and exchanged out of almost all of my PREMX. I wanted to keep it simple, so I did it all online, within TRP. What I'm left with in terms of PREMX is now just 3.6693% of my total portfolio. I split the transaction between two new funds for me: PRESX and PRWCX, keeping in mind that I'm very light in both regions--- Europe and USA equities.

I realize that PRWCX is a "balanced" fund with bonds in it, too. I checked it against my MAPOX and there does not appear to be much overlap, if any. Both are classified as "Moderate Allocation" by Morningstar.

The new allocations mean that PRESX will now represent 15.41123% of my total portfolio, and PRWCX will now hold 17.61283% of my total. PRWCX and MAPOX TOGETHER means that my domestic "Moderate Allocation" stake is up to 25.67% of my total................Add my Mairs and Power small-cap fund, and my domestic US equity stake is now up to 28.93% of total.

I needed to cut that monster down to size. I was overdue. I'm now up to 11 different funds, and I DON'T like THAT. KISS it, dammit. Keep it SIMPLE, stupid! ...Well, at least those three, plus TRAMX, will all be covered by a single statement, anyhow. "Break a leg," everyone.

Comments

• edited November 2013
    PRWCX is a great choice. Simple is good. Its a Great Owl fund as well:).
  • Dear Max: Simple math 11-5=6 funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted? Huh? Ork? What?
  • So ... did you make any changes to your EM and frontier holdings?
  • edited November 2013
    mistake, somehow. Sorry. Unable to simply delete this? I just goofed, that's all.
  • edited November 2013
    Reply to @linter: My next "project" will be to find a way to trim the size of my MAPIX position. It is every bit as oversized as PREMX was. I'm continuing to hold and watch TRAMX (Africa/M.E.) growing. I will harvest its profit and give it to PRWCX shortly. TRAMX is up for me by 25% over 15 months or so. The published estimated annual pay-out is quite paltry for TRAMX.
  • edited June 2014
    LOL - Reminds one of a couple old sayings --- "If you can't stand the heat ... ", and "Don't feel bad - your fund doesn't know you sold

• ........"LOL - Reminds one of a couple of old sayings --- "If you can't stand the heat ... ", and "Don't feel bad - your fund doesn't know you sold it."

What?
  • Reply to @hank:
    PRWCX is a perfectly fine fund, but if you are (still) shopping, compare its 6y chart with GLRBX, JABAX, FPACX, MAPOX, and ICMBX (my fave in the bunch, from MFO). It had a nontrivially larger dip in 09 (which is why I chose 6y) with equal or worse recovery, fwiw. Its risk ratings in M* and Lipper are no better than the others. I see no compelling reason to *prefer* it, although its much more recent performance is a bit stronger. Just two cents to consider, since we presumably look to balanced funds for downside protection. (Thanks to MFO, I myself am now slowly adding or subbing in ARLSX and RGHVX for those nearer-term accounts where I have had balanced funds.)
  • edited June 2014
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: What were your reasons for selling PREMX?